Birth control questions! Please help!

I'm thinking about switching methods to the diaphragm instead of condoms. I like that it's effective even for women who have given birth vaginally, can be put in hours before sex, and doesn't increase my risk of ectopic pregnancy like hormones and IUDs do. We are tired of condoms. TIRED lol.

So for those of you who have experience with it... how did you like it?

What did you like and dislike about it and why?

Did you use latex or silicone? Which would you prefer?

Could you or your partner feel it?

I know it has to stay in place at least 6 hours after sex, was it comfortable to wear it for that long afterward?

Did you experience more frequent UTIs because of it?

Is there anything else I should know about it?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Advantages to using a diaphragm? The diaphragm is often not felt by either partner during sex.The diaphragm is easier for women to learn to insert and remove than a similar contraceptive device, the cervical cap. Disadvantages to using a diaphragm? f the diaphragm is left inside the vagina for more than one day (24 hours), the female runs the risk of toxic shock syndrome (TSS), a serious bacterial infection (as with tampons). Mild allergic reactions to the rubber or spermicide occasionally occur. Things you should know:Diaphragms must be initially fitted by clinicians and then purchased by prescription from a drugstore or clinic. Diaphrams are more expensive than pills initially, but this is a one-time cost. Cost of purchase is covered by Medicaid. ALSO cannot be used during your period may be difficult for some women to insert may be pushed out of place by some penis sizes, heavy thrusting, and certain sexual positions.
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't know so I will give you a bump BUT when DH and I were not wanting anymore between babies we used the VCF (vaginal contraceptive Films) They are thin strips of spermicide that you insert 3 hours- 20 min prior to sex. We used them for 2.5 years with no mishaps. I liked it because it didn't interfere with the 'feeling' of sex. And it left some room for spontaneity.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:56 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• But_Mommie, I have considered VCF. It's just not effective enough for my comfort. We need to be baby-free for another 3 1/2 years or else we won't be able to afford it. We'll have to go on Medicaid, which is a nighmare for me, since I have my babies at home with a midwife :( Medicaid doesn't cover that, so I would have to have a doctor in the hospital or no one at home by myself, neither of which do I feel comfortable with.

Lacyjay, I have read all that, which is why I asked the questions I did lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yeah I always used 2. just to be sure and avoided sex the week I was most fertile.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Lol, I have had two pregnancies because I KNEW I was fertile, told my husband, and neither of us cared enough to stop lol. FAM is very effective, but only when you have the self control to use it properly lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Never used them.I have the Paraguard IUD (2 months) and it's been great..I won't have to have it removed for ten years!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I'm not a candidate for any IUD or IUC because I've had an ectopic pregnancy before :( I'm glad you like it, though!
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2010