Not being put on the schedule at work

I was just wondering what would you all think if your superviser did not put you on the schedule for a week. i work part time and the only other person that is not on the schedule is the one i know for a fact that they are trying to get rid of.

i had no forwarning. i work opposite shift of my manager and i thought everything was fine. i asked him and all he said was i would be on the schedule for next week. should i start looking for another job. i don't want to quit but if a job is not wanting me there i would feel very uncomfortable and it really sucks that he hasn't ever told me to something different of what i am doing.

there has been new people that have been hired.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do NOT wait until next week to talk to your boss, talk to him NOW. Most places that don't put an employee on the schedule without an explanation have fired them. You deserve a reason for this and the only way to get it is to ASK the boss...if he doesn't have an explanation, call HR and ask them what is going on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Well, that's usually the 1st sign they want to get rid of you I would just ask why I wasn't on the schedule and if I did something wrong. Right now companies cut back on the work after Christmas things slow down. Not sure what kind of work you do but it could be that
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It is not uncommon for companies to hire seasonal help then keep the ones they feel are the best assets. I would not jump to conclusions yet. they may be testing the waters with some of the 'new' help. You may very well be back on the schedule next week.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:29 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• it was not seasonal job. i work at assisted living facilited. i started in august. i only work part time but i was starting to really feel comfortable there. its not the fact that they are trying to get rid of me. but at least let me know ahead of time if i am not doing what they want me to do. it was a slap in the face especially i found all this out on christmas eve.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would talk with your boss. If you were hired as holiday help then he may be trying to decide who to keep and who to let go.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:34 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I used to work at victoria secret when I was in college and they would do that all the time. They would hire a whole lot of people and stop putting the ones that were there already on the schedule and repeated the process forever. Every few months I go in there, there is a complete new set of workers. They do that all the time and dont consider performance.. I think they just liked new faces.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• ok people need to learn how to READ! i was not hired as holiday help. there is no such thing as holiday help in assisted living facilited. holiday help was not even mentioned. i talked to my boss and he said iw as going to be put on the schedule next week but i do not want to be in a location if i am just there until someone else is hired to replace me with out knowing what i did or did not do. usually i would think most people get feedback from their manager. i have not gotten any.
    the question was do you think that they are trying to get rid of me if it was just random out of the blue not put on the schedule?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• They may be budgeting and the budget calls for shifts to be changed/lowered. The only real reason to know is to ask and let them know you are seeking stability ask if they can put you on a permenant schedule that you can rely on every week.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• well, i am going back to school in january so its not a stability kind of thing. but i really would like to know so i can just enjoy the next three weeks with out worrying. so i will talk with him next week to see if he does put me on the schedule again. i just wish he would let me know. i can't even collect unemployment because i only been there 4 months. oh well. its just a job that i got while i was in school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• i asked him and he said he will put me on next week and that he gave me the week off. now i am not full time i am part time only work 4 hours a day/ for like 3-4 days a week. thank you tyfry7496 that is what i figured.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2010