Doesn't want to get dressed

My 3 year old son does not want to get dressed anymore. He wants to wear his pajamas ALL day!!! Anyone else have this issue with their tot? Maybe not with pajamas, but a costume or something else they like to wear?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 12:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeap, when my son was a preschooler, he liked to walk around the house in boxers and a tshirt and as long as we didn't have company, I let him. He also would wear his Harry Potter cape everywhere. It is a stage. Let it be. Learn to fight your battles...as long as he is dressed when you leave the house or have company let it go. My niece came to Christmas Eve in her pajamas because she didn't want to get dressed, it was not a big deal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• yes
    needto make gettingdressed contigenton a reward
    have to get dressedbefore goingoutside-big one, she lovesoutside
    i pick battles, if she wants to wear a princess dress to bed-ok fine
    mine easier at the moment, because she does not want pjs but ok with day clothes
    but in past was other way around, she has goneto daycare in pj top
    this was when she was 2 and before i took LAKE dyes out ofher diet-so her sensory system was very bad, also she has autism, so some things are a real battle

at this age, try to give him a choice of two tops and two bottoms that are ok with you-MAYBE he if feels he is in charge he might choose oneof the tops andone of the bottoms
    try not to give in, ignore when he fits to wear clothes, try again in a few minutes, make it FIRST clothes, THEN (reward) playground, ride in car to library, whatever his currency is

if none works, time will fix this-lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My daughter was a bit younger and she was very picky about the outifts she would put on, enough so that she would actually throw out of the dresser draw the clothes she refused to put on. It took some doing to get her to get dressed because who knew that a small child would be so particular about what they wear? There usually is a reason that they won't get dressed and it can be very simple and straightforward. I started to pay attention to the colors she liked and the fabrics she wouldn't wear like denim. My son was totally against wearing corduroys and I had a hard time getting him to get dressed because he didn't want to wear corduroy pants and I bought many in various colors.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2010