debating -cloth or disposable

I want to try cloth diapers with this baby. But, I am still unsure. There is so much about a disposable diaper that is convenient, but they are so bad for the environment!

What is your opinion?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 12:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why don't you do both? I loved cloth when I used them, but am back to sposies right now. Cloth is easier then you would think, I had said I was going to do cloth at home and disposable when out, and I ended up just using cloth all the time, though I ended up using disposables at night, it seemed no matter what diaper, what brand, what style, what size, even with extra inserts, extra covers, my son would STINK like pee in the morning and the ONLY thing that would get the smell away was a bath. I know that plenty of moms do NOT have that same issue though. What are your concerns? Maybe I can help address them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Disposable for sure! Huggies makes green diapers.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• There is also the expense...
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I did cloth for my first child, and disposable for my second.

For convenience, there is no competition. Disposable has it.

But cloth isn't really green. You may reduce the waste pile, but what they add to the consumption of clean water to for their laundering has to be considered too. If there is a TRULY GREEN disposable, that's great. But I would look to independent reviews to see which actually are GREEN. I don't trust labeling, or any press that the manufacturer's are involved in.

Good Luck with your research. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• cloth. look at this site www.TheLuvYourBaby.com site. Their diapers are the most inexpensive ones I found, and I have had 20 I use between 2 babies for the last year. I love them!!!! I spent $150 a year ago for the 20 I have! I highly suggest them to anyone I know who is pregnant. Neither of them had had diaper rashes since I switched, and their excema one their legs cleared up too after a few days of using them rather than disposable! also use baby wash clothes and not wipes ( I carry wipes in the diaper bag, but that's it ) If washing diapers may as well add wash clothes to the cycle too.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Maybe try some of the diapers that have both cloth and disposable inserts... you use cloth as the primary diaper... but like if you go out in public you have a disposable insert that you can just toss when it's dirty rather than have to carry around a soiled diaper.
    Or I have a friend that uses both... she cloth diapers at home... but uses disposable when they are out and I think now uses them at night as well because she couldn't find anything to hold his heavy night time wets....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• When it comes to money, cloth wins. They are so much cheaper.

Jilliansdrawers.com has a great try-it program for moms new to cloth diapering. And cloth isn't messy or harder. When you have an infant you wash a million loads of laundry every day anyway. A million and one isn't more work.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• cloth is great when your home most of the time and disposables are great when your out running errands or just simply out doing something with baby. 1/2 n 1/2 I say.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 8:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have used cloth with all 3 of my kids. The ones you can buy now are so easy to use. You can save a lot of money, even if you buy the most expensive ones! I'm using the bum genius diapers. They are one size so you don't have to buy more as baby grows.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2010