Has anyone had a problem with headbutting?

My 19th month old has been headbutting everything ever since he started crawling. Now he will actually get on his hands and knees and headbutt the floor while laughing. This isn't a soft tap, it's an actual rearing-back headbutt. He's learned not to headbutt people (he's already given me a bloody nose, and found out daddy's head is harder than his). My hubby used to headbutt with his brothers, but Lee has never seen him do this? Is my son the only one headbutting?

mcmgirl88

Asked by mcmgirl88 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 9m and the other day I was watching her play in the floor and she crawled up tp the wall and was sitting there head butting the wall... I don't know whats so fun about it but I guess its normal.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I think it's a phase they go through. My son did the same thing and then all of a sudden just stopped doing it. He'd also bang his head on the floor when he got angry or upset. I don't know what it accomplished or why he liked doing it , I do know it drove me nuts and worried me. I wouldn't stress to much on it though just try to keep him on carpeted areas where it can cushion his head butting just a little bit.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my son did the same thing and we told him to smell it insted of hitting his head. I know this sounds stupid but it works and it saves a lot of bruses all so this is not good for them. it can hurt there brain being jurked like that. If you think about it, it is like being in a car reck and hitting your head. so you could try telling him to smell it and at first do it with him he will think that it is funny and mabe start doing this instead.

Good luck
    csanders5507

Answer by csanders5507 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my 14 month old little guy is goig through the same thing right now. I hope its a phase. I thought he broke my nose a few weeks ago. My concern is he does it so hard he gave himself a bruise and goosegg... I mean if he was older it might be a concern for an emotional aggression thing but for now I think its normal.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008