How do you get your special needs child to listen to instruction?

Ughhh....my son Adhd/Aspergers will NOT clean up for the life of him, or for that matter do anything that is asked of him. He is all about me.. It is a volatile situation and I fear for what will happen when he is a grown man and has to work or for that matter when he becomes a teen adn refuses to follo rules/laws...He already has stolen at 7....

dreamingmind

Asked by dreamingmind at 1:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am from Pennsylvania. I went to school for mental health therapy. In this state there is "Wrap Around Services", which include a team of a Mobile Therapist, Behavior Specialist, and a TSS (therapeutic staff support worker). The MT or BSC heads treatment with a treatment plan, then the TSS is the one there daily or almost daily to assist the child and family in carrying out the treatment plan goals. Plus then they work with teachers at school, the doctors as well. Not sure how every other state works. When I was in Alabama they didn't have this specific service, I don't think anyways, but sure there is similiar services. Assuming since he is on the autistic spectrum his health insurance is through medicare, in addition to any you or your hubby may have, this is how it is in PA. And they are guaranteed this type of assistance and treatment. It takes a long time, and is a long road ahead of you, because there will always be...
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• ...some sort of problem with a coping skill or behavior problem. Ask your pediatrician what is available. Google it. Ask your local library if there is an Autism Support group, other parents are sometimes the best advisors or where to get started. Lots of luck to you!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Is he medicated? Does he get therapy? My son is ADHD with Aspergers. The Aspbergers wasn't apparent until a few years ago. He's 12. He was diagnosed with ADHD and medicated at 3, but he's kinda...not mildly ADHD. He's changed meds a few times. And gets therapy, which is great.
    My daughter was also diagnosed as ADHD, but she's not as extreme. She should have been put on medication sooner, it really affected her schooling. I feel really bad about it, I didn't want to see it. We have a special needs son, he's been diagnosed with Jacobsen's Syndrome. It's hard coming to terms with having all kids with some kind of issues. But, now she's doing much better, and getting better grades.
    If your son isn't on any kind of medication, you may want to consider it. He is not happy now, getting into trouble, not being able to focus. It's hard on him, too. GL!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Oh, also. He should qualify for a 504 plan at school. It will greatly help him there. It's like an IEP for other special needs kids. Talk to the guidance office at his school. But, you also need help at home. That's why I suggested meds and therapy. My kids have afternoon booster meds, too. I know lots of people hate the idea of medicating their kids. But, for our family, it's what's best. We have less fights, less trouble in school, the kids do better, they can focus on things they want to do. It's what's best for us. I know what I am simply NOT capable of. And what I am. I have my own medical problems. So, hopefully I don't get shit for suggesting it to you. It's an option that I pointed out.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't hav ea child with these issues, but here is a bump for you. Good luck!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2010