How old was your child when he/she started calling you "Momma" regularly? (Or Mommy, or whatever.)

Like when he wants you, or is upset? My son is 20 months old and never calls me momma, although he has said it before. Should I be worried?

JudesMomma

Asked by JudesMomma at 6:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was almost 2 he started calling me Mama but he also called every woman Mama. I think he was a little over 2 when it was exclusively me. My daughter (who is 3) didn't start until maybe 4 months ago. But she had a severe speech delay and is still learning to talk.

I wouldn't worry hon. He'll call you Momma all the time soon enough. Each child develops at his/her own pace. Does he say other things?
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• She just started about 2 weeks ago, she was 21 months! I don't know why it took her so long, considering the other words she says! LOL
    padavali

Answer by padavali at 6:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Don't worry, Shannon. :)
    JoyeAustin

Answer by JoyeAustin at 6:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• my vote is that judaniah is the smartest of all blonde boys ever and when you least expect it, he will bust out with the constant 'momma...momma...momma...momma' and you will long for the days when he was quiet.
    fabulosa

Answer by fabulosa at 8:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My youngest was like one. Probably around 15/16 months. She just out of the blue started screaming "MAMA" when she wanted out of her room. But every kid is different. She's been speaking in complete, complex sentences since she was 18 months old. She turned 2 in April and can carry a conversation (she says some pretty funny things, too).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• my son was 2 months when he started calling me mommy.
    ADENSMOMMY123

Answer by ADENSMOMMY123 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My son started calling me "MOM" around 18 months, but didn't start calling my husband "Daddy" until about 20 months. Keep referring to yourself as "mommy" in the 3rd person (don't say "I" or "me") and he'll get it soon.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My son is 6 and still confuses me and my identical twin sister. He still calls her momma occasionally soooooo I'll let you know when it happens! its not so bad he never experienced seperation anxiety as a baby...He didnt even realize i'd left most of the time! LOL : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• No. No. No. Put it behind you and if you want to save your marriage quit it. this can bring no good, you tell your girlfriends secrets not your husband! He is a man therefore he will not understand, not now not ever! I imagine your thinking how you'll share and explain it ws because you felt...blah ..blah...blah...don't tell girl friend!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• As long as he is saying other words, I would not worry about it to much. My son is 27 months old and he said momma 1 time when he was 1 and has not said it since but some things his therapist tells us to do is:
    Make sure you always refer to yourself as the same name too many names may confuse him,
    and we also gave my son a small photo album to carry around and when he looks at a picture in it we always so thats mama, or sissy or whoever he is looking at.
    Hope this helps and good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2008