I need help getting my son to sleep

My son is 18mo. old and he has never really sleep. Right now his sleep times are bedtime at 9:00 he will fall asleep around 11:00 and is up for the day at 3:30 to 4:00 with no naps during the day. I have talked to his doctors and they tell me not to worry but I need some sleep I also have a 6mo old and he looks bad, he has black circles under his eyes and is always cranky. He does have quite time in the middle of the day but he will mot go to sleep we have tryed every thing that I know even playing soft music all night. Does anyone have this problem or any ideas. Please help

csanders5507

Asked by csanders5507 at 2:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Set up a regualr routine and stick to it. My 3 year old has always been busy and active. SO before we go to bed I give my 2 younger ones a bath, then we sit on our bed getting dressed the whole time just talking and giggling and playing. When they are dressed we put a low light on and read up to 3 books or I turn on the tv and we watch a little tv. I nurse the baby and cuddle with my son. Just keep everything the same and low key...The bath helps them calm down and if you use a lavender soap or chamomile it is a soothing and calming aromatherapy. It actually does help.

I also wouldn't do sugar or caffeine anytime near bedtime...Just try setting up a routine and be patient it takes some time and patience...Good Luck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 2:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Your baby sounds just like mine! You should read the 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore. It really helped me approach my daughters sleeping issues from a totally different perspective. The book is mainly about the natural sleep and awake cycles a babies brain goes through. It is really simple! I read it Saturday and started applying what I learned on Sunday morning. It worked really well right from the get go. Once you read it you will think it is all common sense type of information.

We went from no naps, 11pm bedtimes, and a cranky baby to nice long naps, 8-9pm bedtimes, and a happy baby and mama.

Message me if you have any questions.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my sons routine was like yours untill i changed and put the hard yards in.this is how my son goes to bed.

4pm is dinner

4.30-5pm is going for a walk,this is usually for half an hour

5-6pm is bathtime,storytime,cuddletime.for the bath i use aromatherapy oil in the bath.it makes him sleepy

and by 6.30pm he is bed fast asleep,it made him sleep longer untill 8am,when he woke during the nite he got put straight back to bed,patience and strict routine did it for me.hope this helps

cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

•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
    prodmotherof4

Answer by prodmotherof4 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son has days like that, IF he is not in bed by 8:30pm then he gets over tired and won't sleep for any leght of time. He is up every few hours at night. So I say start putting him to bed earlier even if he doesn't seem tired yet. It workd for us, my son goes to bed a 8:30pm and sleeps til 8am. With one nap during the day also keep it the sametime even if he's not acting sleepy. It might take a few days but hopefully it will work for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2008