Moms with unrealistic expectations

No offense intended, but I think some of the new moms on CafeMom have unrealistic expectations as far as their children sleeping through the night. It's probably not going to happen at 1, 2 or even 3 months old. Babies still need to eat at night, even if you're tired. It'll happen eventually, so just hang in there.

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Don't I know that. My daughter had colic and she didn't sleep through the night until past six months.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My son started sleeping through the night at 3 months old and I was so happy, a full nights sleep, at last! Then at 8 months, he started waking up again several times at night and still does occasionally at 20 months. That's what happens when you have children.
    MomMom23

Comment by MomMom23 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• very true i agree with you new moms have unreal expectations because they here of some new babies sleeping through the night at a young age however its not the norm for most babies. My children didnt sleep through the night till they were both nearly a year old. You just have to tough it out and remember that they will some day soon. Dont think because your friends baby slept through the night at 1 month old that your baby will to.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Ahhh, so true. My 18 month old still wakes up hahaha. I just deal with it. She never slept through the night as a baby. I think it's a convenience issue for mother's to get babies that young to sleep through the night. I'm sure a lot of it is first time mom's who don't know what to expect and when they hear of other babies who sleep through the night they think it's the norm. It's not!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• i totally agree. i remember my doctor telling me don't even expect it until past 6 months and alot of times they start sleeping through the night and they have a growth spurt and then they start waking and/or that go through a milestone and they want to do it like pulling up or rolling over ect. mine slept at 4 months for the first time but was really not contistant until after 6 months. i use to be surprised when she would only wake once for a feeding. i thought that was the best thing ever actually.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 2:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• agree!! my dd slept all night from 2months -5months old and then started teething where she got up every hour!!! now finally at 10months old she only wakes once a night and im ok with that! waking up during the night is just part of being parents!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My 3 month dd sleeps from 11pm to 7am and I wake up to change her diaper when she is still asleep. It can be done, you just have to be comfortable and not get frustrated, bc the baby can sense it.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree and my husband is one of those parents.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I never really expected sleep when I was a new mom. But, there's that phrase "sleeping like a baby" and maybe some new moms think that babies sleep really well at night because of that? IDK. I do agree that many have unrealistic expectations, though not bashing any of them. Heck, my kids are 3 and 5, and usually don't sleep through the night.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010