That's way more than spanking...

A week ago, my 8-yr-old son was at the neighbors' house on a playdate with their 9yo son. He was supposed to stay there from 11am until 1pm but he came home at 12pm which was very weird to me because he loves spanding time with that boy.
The other boy's dad started beating him up with his belt.
My son told me it was because the little boy was caught sneaking candy in his room.
The dad started beating him up on the back with his belt and while the little boy was screaming the mom was standing there watching.
Then the dad realised my son was still there and he stopped what he was doing to walk him to my house.
When they got here he told me that my son pushed his daughter(7yo) down the stairs which my son denied. The man started telling me he has causght my son lying several times. I assume he did that so I would believe my son when he told me about the beating up.

I called CPS on them and they saw the scars on the boy's body so they took both kids away.

That happed on Friday. Now, all of a sudden, someone is sending threatening notes to our home. I have received 2 so far- both saying how I should be afraid for myself and my family.

I reported that to the police but they can't do anything because they don't have any proof it's that "dad"

What else can I do? Could my kids really be in danger?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• ask them to compare the handwriting of the dad with that of the note. call cps again bc this shows character of the dad too and he probably shouldn't have his children
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I believe that they could.. if he beats his son im sure he would do anything to prove a point.. the cops think its just someone playing a prank they never do anything until something serious happens.. just be very guarded and keep your kids close.. im sorry your going through this i have been through something very similar and it was one of the hardest things i had to do
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I really don't know what to say. I am so sorry about what happened. I would just continue on your way and be very cautiious about your children. are you married? what does your husband say about all this? if you continue to get threats i would just keep telling the police. you did the right thing and so did your son. i will bump ya though.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 2:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Move to a new neighborhood asap. Your life may be in danger. That man is obviously unbalanced and could harm your family. Most of the time, the police can't do anything until AFTER something violent happens. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• This is awful, you did the right thing. How are you receiving the notes? can you set up a video camera to watch when who is sending them. The police should have at least spoken to the man to let him know they suspected him of sending the notes.

If it were me I'd hire a private detective do surveillance outside my house to catch the person sending the notes.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• They cannot compare the handwriting because the notes are printed on a computer. He;s thought this through..

momof241988 Sorry you went through something similar.. I hate that the cops won't do anything! Does someone had to get hurt for them to take action?

Yes I am married and my DH is furious. He wanted to go over there and beat the hell out of that guy but thankfully he came to his senses. He took 2 weeks off work to be with us and make sure we're safe. But he can't do that for long.. I don't know what else to do!

Anon, we actually ARE thinking about moving, this is all such a mess!

Thanks for the advice everyone..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The notes came in the mail, it's not someone just dropping them off to my house..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It's against the law to threaten someone by mail. Contact your local postmaster.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 3:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• @ Jenny-talia

And what? that would stop the mails? We would still be in danger..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I did a little googling - it seems that just threatening someone by mail or email is a federal crime (even if no actual violence has been committed). If this was happening to me, I would call the FBI and ask them if they could do anything - this may not be something that the local police handles. I'd also talk to a lawyer. Keep making noise. Don't just let this bastard let away with this!! If the police and FBI say they can't do anything, ask who can? Keep talking to people and organizations until someone steps up.
    Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010