Keeping my toddler in bed

Just over a week ago we finally got our toddler to give up his pacifier. We went to see Santa and gave it to him. Two nights he screamed. Then it stopped, but he started climbing out of his crib... like 10 times before he finally went to sleep. Afraid he would hurt himself, we turned his crib into a big boy bed. Still he will not stay in bed... it's constant pleas for water, more books, etc.

We had the perfect sleeper until this. Minus the bink, we're on our same routine.

But I'm desperate. Nap time and bedtime is a two hour ordeal which usually ends in me totally blowing up. I know that's not helping but I"m at my wits end. I'm also 16 months pregnant and now sleep deprived.

Some friends have recommended putting a child safely grip on the inside of his door. I tried it one night and he completely wigged out. So much so that our neighbors downstairs actually asked me if I was abusing him!!!

Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just keep on with what youre doing. My son did this for awhile as well. The more books and water is just for more "stay awake time". Hes not really thirsty he just wants to say up longer. A friend told me to try and lock him in th room and just let him realize he cant come out its bed time. We didnt get to that point. It took about 2 weeks of bring him back to his bed and saying no its time for bed. Good Luck!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have this problem. Do you have a baby gate or can he climb over them? My daughter used to whine at it for a while and then just give up and go to bed. Now that she knows how to climb over them, I can't use it anymore. My pediatrician told me to sit on the floor at the end of her bed. Ignore ignore ignore. Just sit there and read or stare at the wall, but don't give in to him when he's talking, crying,etc. If he tries to get out of bed, say nothing. Put him back in bed. Show no reaction. I hope this helps. It works with my daughter. Try to stay calm...this could just be a faze since he no longer has his binkie. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• We have the same problem as well but we just calmly tell them to go to bed and put them back in bed and walk away. its a continuous battle but eventually they will stay and give up. its a battle of the wills.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 4:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Good luck. My toddler is the same....but with a bottle not a pacifier. He gets 2 oz of water. I tried 3x to take the bottle, he actually sucks on it like a paci. And the third night was the worst each time. People on here actually criticized me and told me I was cruel to let him throw a fit for 2 hours. And I couldn't take it either, so he got the bottle back. The problem with the bottle is his brother came when he was a year, so taking it was a lost cause, literally. I am ready to smash them with a hammer at this point LOL The pedicatricin told me that's what i may come to. I just give in because it's me, and the 2 of them. Their dad is gone, for military, not a dead beat LOL Lately I am ready to do it, because my toddler doesn't stay in bed anyway either. Breaks his gate down, wakes his brother....it's chaos then. And I too am left yelling at him only to make it worse. Lots of luck and patience to you!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Make sure you do the same thing every night. Listen to what he asks for when you put him to bed.. my nephew did this if he asks for water and to potty make sure you give him water and make him potty before you put hiim to bed.. try not to explode when he gets out when he gets a reaction out of you is when he continues.. Goodluck
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would put a radio or play soothing music for him to sleep by since it will make him tired and he will fall asleep faster. I don't know if he has a stuffed animal or toy he sleeps with but both my children had one that they took to bed with them. It helped a lot since their grandmother grave it to them.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• You need to just stick to your guns and keep putting him back, But I would explain it to him the first time and then after that take him back to bed, but dont say anything, the more you talk to him he is getting a response which is what he wants, it works much better if you just keep putting him back without saying anything! Good Luck!
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I had this issue with one of my kids. I ended up giving her pacifier back; only for bed time. She always fell asleep right away with it. We took it away when she was older and now she does fine going to bed.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 9:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• im right there with you with my 4 year old and it is a CONSTANT battle. DH has to deal with it becaus eI literally explode if I have to. I do not have the patience to deal with BS and screaming and crying for no reason. I know, horrible rotten mother I am.
    Anyways I wish you the best!
    mylifemyloves

Answer by mylifemyloves at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son is the same way we finally just decided to put up hi baby gate tonight. He didn't go to bed until 3 am and now it's 11:30 here and he just opened his door again. I'm sitting on our couch outside his room and he comes to the gate and he'll ask for something. I ignore him or try to, but my inlaws live upstairs and its one of those relationships where I can do not right. so if kasey cries all night there is something I should have done to stop him. Not that their stamping upstairs really helps him sleep....
    babyblujems

Answer by babyblujems at 11:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010