Should they change the "anchor baby" amendment?

What I'm looking at...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/26/anchor-baby-constitutional-amendment-face-scrutiny-congress/

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• All I'm going to say is, the republicans need to tread very lightly on this issue, otherwise they can kiss any chance of a republican president good bye. Hispanics are currently the largest minority group in the US, and their votes can and will make a difference in the presidential election.
    Anonymous

• I guess it should matter to me, but it doesn't.
    I am second born to a man who had to jump through hoops to get into this country, even though he was a survivor of WWII.
    He had to sign documents to never apply for any type of government assistance to get his citizenship back in 1976. He stood in line to renew his Visa, and when he passed away the US tried to tax his pension that came from Norway.
    Now as for Hispanics, I think they have it easy.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The only Hispanics that would have to worry about it are the ones that here illegally. If they're not citizens, how can they vote?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• They can do this without changing the amendment. Diplomats' children are not conferred automatic citizenship, even if they are born at a US hospital instead of in their embassy. There are ways to extend that exception to include illegals.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• @ idaspida... wow. taxing a foreign pension? I love how our gov't thinks they are entitled to anything and everything in our personal estate. Bunch of criminals....
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I think this is a difficult issue. It's not as easy as a yes or a no. For me, I have no problems with immigrants coming to this country from any country, but I do agree with immigrants coming into this country illegally. However, children of illegal immigrants are not to blame for this problem. I know I have read of some children who had no idea that they were in this country illegally and only found out when they went to apply for college. I don't think those children really should be penalized for the decisions that their parents made on their behalf as well as, most of these children have no idea of any other way of life.
    The problem is--will giving these children legal status keep the government from sending their parents back home when they are found to be here illegally. What really needs to be resolved is how they are going to deal with those children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I know I have read of some children who had no idea that they were in this country illegally and only found out when they went to apply for college.

***
    I find this really hard to believe! Did these "children" NOT apply for Driver's Licenses (Driver's Ed) at 16? Did they never have a library card? Did they never see their birth certificate? Do they know nothing about their parents--where they were born, where they went to school, what they did/do for a living--all employment throughout their lives?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Upholding and/or enforcing our laws is not 'punishing children'.

If we were strictly enforcing our existing laws most of those children would have already been deported back to their home country along with their parent/s. Just because we haven't been enforcing the existing laws is no reason to not do so now as part of any imigration reform law.

The only ones at fault are the parents who bring their children here illegally, and those who come here illegally and than have children. Both the parents and the children should be sent back.

Not only should we change the amendment, I would support any inclusion of a requirement that before they can legally apply for citizenship, any public (including schooling) funds used must be paid back. Neither America nor Americans owe illegals squat ~ it's time OUR gov't. gets off the fence and stands up for the taxpayers who fund it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I am not sympathetic to anchor babies for the reasons previously cited by notpanicking and farmlady and lorikeet. Quite simply, there should be no citizenship for babies born to illegal immigrants nor should there be a special pathway...period. To use fear mongering, as the progressives do, is to say they are basing their legislative Dream Act on acquiring a voting block and not for the good of the country as a whole. This country needs to secure its borders first and then make mandatory in all states the E-verify for employers and if an employer ignores this requirement, very stiff monetary penalties and jail time should apply.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 8:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• if your here illegally then your breaking the law, doesnt matter what law it is your breaking it and if we bend on one then why not bend on all or just in fact get rid of all laws and just have a free for all....
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010