What's your opinion about the Amish and their way of life?

Amish
The Amish maintain an 18th century lifestyle in the modern world.

There is a large group of people in this country, as many as 100,000, who will never see the HowStuffWorks Web site because they don't have computers, don't have the electricity to run computers, and don't want the electricity to run computers. These folks get around in horse-drawn buggies and use lanterns for light. The people to whom I refer are collectively known as "the Amish." That the Amish have been able to maintain an 18th century lifestyle in a 21st century world is amazing!

In this article, we will explore how and why the Amish live as they do.

You may have heard of the Amish from the film "Witness" starring Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. This is a work of entertainment and not a documentary of Amish life. You may also have heard that the Amish are "stuck in time," but this is not true, either, as you will see. If you have actually visited "Amish Country," then you may know a little more about these people. The Amish are not easy to get acquainted with because their religious beliefs require separation from the non-Amish world.

Read more here:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/amish.htm

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 3:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I envy their lifestyle being plain, simple, and mainly of God and family. Its seems a life of peace. They are hardworking people who take care of one another, and I believe we could learn so much from them.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I think it's kind of cool.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• When I was younger (from 10-14), we lived near a small Amish community, we bought things from them - fresh goats milk, homemade butter, cheese, etc. They always seemed so nice, and friendly. I secretly wanted to be Amish then, lol. I still think it would be a peaceful life, but I am not sure I could live that way all the time.

Armonia

Answer by Armonia at 3:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I think it seems very peaceful and innocent, however I don't think it's right that they completely cut off friends/family members who choose not to live the Amish life.

Answer by missanc at 3:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• To each their own! I don't think I could live like that, but I find it amazing that they're able to live that way with the world and how advanced it is these days. It seems technology is everywhere! Kudos to them for being able to pull it off. I think it'd be neat to maybe try to live that way for a week or two, just to get the feel of their lifestyle.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have great respect for them. I may not believe the same as they do, but how can I not respect a people that are so dedicated to their faith and actually LIVE what they teach every single day.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't like the fact that they stop all communication with people who leave the group.
    Anonymous

• I think it is cool. I used to attend college in Montana and during one of their swap meet or something, I bought a quilt from some hutterites - people just like the Amish. And I also bought some great home made apple pies.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It works well for them and they have been around for quite some time. I don't think I could do based on what I know of the outside world, but if I had grown up in that kind of environment, who knows.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I think it's a very interesting way to live, but I don't really have a definite opinion on it as it's their choice. I have an old college friend who has Amish neighbors in the middle of no where Wisconsin, and she says they are very friendly and they have helped her out many times (and she has helped them too). I know of one occasion where they came to use her phone when someone injured themselves. They are always bringing her food they've grown when they have too much, and she feels very honored that they trust her when they are very private people. She's very friendly and has a background in Anthropology as well, so I'm sure her kindness and familiarization with their customs helped to build that trust over the last few years. I think it's fascinating how they choose to live so simply, and I love hearing updates from her about their occasional visits to her house or seeing them work, have weddings, etc.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2010