Christians...

What denomination do you belong to? What made you choose this denomination/what do you like most about it?

Armonia

Asked by Armonia at 3:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Southern Baptist - it's the denomination I grew up in. I associate with the practice of baptism by immersion. They believe in the "priesthood of the believer" - so they don't tell me what to believe, they tell me I should read the Bible, pray, and make decisions for myself. I like that.

Answer by missanc at 3:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Episcopalian- I was Baptised at a month old and just stuck with it. What I like about it are the gatherings of people, the shaking of hands, and the welcoming of any religion into our church. If you're Catholic you can come into our church and recieve comunion, worship with us and stick around for the coffee and cake afterwards. We welcome anyone really.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It's not really a denomination but rather a perspective on doctrine and theology. I consider myself a historic reformed Christian, which essentially means that I follow the teachings that came directly out of the Protestant Reformation. The teachings that came out of the Protestant Reformation were intended to purge some of the fallacious teachings of the RCC in order to get back to the original teachings of Christ. I like to study many of the Reformation fathers - Luther, Calvin, et al. as well as Augustine. I also like Puritan writings from Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley (minus his preaching towards semi-pelagianism), J C Ryle and many others. The modern day theologians that I study from are RC Sproul, John Piper, John MacArthur, and others.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I was baptised Catholic but wasn't raised in an especially religious home. In my twenties I sought out different faiths in order to explore what I truly believed. I returned to the Catholic faith because of the principles of the doctrine. I believe in the Bible, but I think it needs to be studied for understanding not just read. I don't read the Bible as a literal text but instead I read it in order to  understand the lessons that are being taught this includes taking into account the historical context they were being written in. I also believe in the idea of following your conscience as a guide for determining what is right and just.  I also believe in the communion of saints, I believe we are all still connected to one another even after death.  I think it's more important to love one another, care for the poor, and value each person then it is what religion you consider yourself.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Im a Jehovah's witness, I chose to become a JW because it felt right for me and it just made more sense to me. I love how we treat each other as brothers and sisters. I love bible studies also.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Well, I currently have membership at a Methodist church - it was the church my parents settled on after getting married when I was a child, as it was a nice middle ground between the Catholic church my mother (and my brother and I) went to and the Pentecostal church my step-dad went to. We found it a while after they were married - my brother and I were singing in a children's choir that sang there. I don't usually attend church anymore, as I'm growing more and more unorthodox and because my husband works nights and I don't drive and I don't like the idea of looking for a new church with a 3 year old in tow, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Oh - I like the laid back, loving way of it. I've been to other churches, and I don't like pastors who only preach about hellfire and Satan (themes I don't believe in anyway), so I love that our church is positive and that the Methodist denomination has a reputation for being more open minded as well. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I am a new Catholic, 1 year next Easter. I was raised Church of Christ, but just grew more and more skeptical of their teachings as I grew older. I don't know why, but I had been drawn to the Catholic church since I was a teenager. It was a long and tortuous road to get me where I am today, but I am very happy here. I can't put it into words, there is just a sense of comfort and peace that I have never known anywhere else.There is no hellfire and damnation sermon every Sunday, they are very loving and accepting.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Not Christian, but my MIL (when she was still able to attend church) went to a (this is a mouthful) Non-denominational Freewill, Bible Believing Baptist Church. Anyone else catch the oxymoron in that sentence? MIL's church was a high-spirited, old time revival type church that you did not sleep through. =) She liked it because she said she could feel God moving through the church. 

Hubby and I were members of a church that CLAIMED to be a "Word of God" church. They were a good church until they built and moved into their new building. They should have changed their denomination to "Word of MONEY" because 9 out of 10 sermons were about money. *frown* 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would rather not have a denomination, it just muddies every thing up.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010