Asparagus Recipes

I am looking to learn how to cook asparagus. Any help?

notlott37

Asked by notlott37 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I steam it until it is al dente. Serve with an Italian dressing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I steam for 5 minutes and toss in butter, lemon juice and salt.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• First you must remember that when working with asparagus you need to take off the bottom edge off because it is really hard and not too tasty. I make creamy soups with them. I start off with one big onions sliced thin and sautee it in a bit of olive oil, add spices of your choice, I use an all spice, and sautee until translucent, then after you cut the asparagus, cut them again in half and throw them n the pot, I take about a pound of them. Add the water according of how much soup you want to make, also add 3 cubes of maggies vegetable broth cube and let it boil down for at least 30 minutes, when the asparagus is soft , add a hand mixer to the pot and cream it all in, you might want to use a colander to get any fibers left by the asparagus. Then you add like a cup of whipped cream cheese, and for creamier soups, use 2 tbs of cornstarch to a bit of water and add when soup is boiling, it will thicken it and make it yummy!

Answer by older at 3:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• That sounds delicous. Thank you.
    notlott37

Comment by notlott37 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have found the best way to cook asparagus is to either grill it or roast it. Its winter now, so roasting is the obvious choice. Trim the ends, place in single layer on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, s&p, cook in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, give or take depending on how crispy/soft you like it. A few mins before its done, sprinkle it with shredded (not grated, although that will work in a pinch) parmesan cheese and pop it back in. The shredded parm melts and makes a delicous salty crispy layer on top. Love it, and so easy =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I like it broiled, sprinked with a bit of fresh parmesean, and drizzled with melted butter before serving.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Roasted!

If you have a toaster oven (or convection oven) it comes out perfect - crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

Convection/Toaster Oven - preheat to 425 degrees F (Convention oven = turn on broiler - 500 degrees)

In a bowl combine about 1/4 of olive oil, 1-2 cloves crushed garlic. Set aside.
    Clean your asparagus, and break off the bottom part of the stalk (Martha Stewart says to allow them to break at a natural point, so don't worry about keeping each stalk the same size and don't cut)

On a cookie sheet (or shallow pan that came with the toaster oven - hopefully), spread your asparagus out in a single layer. Drizzle your olive oil/garlic mixture over it. Then, with a clean hand, roll the asparagus around until ALL stalks are completely covered in olive oil.

Finish off with sea salt and pepper.

Put in your oven for approx 15-18minutes. The tops should be browned/crunchy; stalks should appea
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• stalks appear thinner than when you put them in.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have found the best way to cook asparagus is to either grill it or roast it. Its winter now, so roasting is the obvious choice.

This ^^. We prefer grilled, so we don't have it as much in winter. I did notice at the store a few weeks ago that they now have those steamer packs of frozen asparagus. Haven't tried it yet, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I also prefer it grilled or roasted, but fresh tossed into a salad is good, too. I've also sauted it & mixed it into an omelet or two. I won't eat it this time of year, though, as it is not in season & doesn't taste very good no matter how you prepare it. I grow my own & eat it fresh from the garden...Oh, you haven't really tasted asparagus until you've eaten it straight from the garden!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010