If I wanted Sole/ Physical custody of my Daughter

Where do I start? I live in AZ and her father lives in CA. Does he have to come to court down here? How much is it? Etc

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 3:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Join the custody group here on Cafemom and ask this question. They are very knowledgeable.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• who is she living with now?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• You can get Legal aid.. just call the courthouse in your area and they can give you the number.. whoever files for the courtdate is in which state they will have to go to court.. you start with legal aid and they will get you a lawyer and he will take it from there.. GOODLUCK! :)
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• He has to go where the case is filed...if in AZ then he has to come to AZ. It is between 200 to 2000 to file and finish a sole custody case. You have to prove several things for SOLE custody...he is unfit, dangerous to the child, and that he is unacceptable as a parent to have his rights taken away. I know it is hard but it took me 3 yrs to get Sole legal and residential custody of my children in AZ. They are Father friendly and will not sever parental ties from a father and his child(ren)...after the first yr of doing it on my own I eneded up having to seek an attorney. It is very difficult and long and I suggest you seek legal caounsel before stepping into the courtroom. The Family court judges in AZ are NOT just going ot take your word for it...you need witnesses and documentation to prove your case...good luck...you can PM me if you have any other questions.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• ha ha I cant spell today! sorry
    4_28_bbboy

• well I don't know a whole lot but if he is in CA and you are in AZ and if he doesn't show up to court because he can't get there then they will most likely award you with what ever you want. Not a hundred percent sure on that but think that is how it normally works.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 4:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Were you married to her father? Do you currently have any kind of custody agreement. If you already have a custody agreement, you will need to file in the state and county that the original agreement was made....you can file for a change of venue to have the court transferred to another county or state....if you already did this in AZ, then you can just file there. If you do not have a divorce/custody agreement, you can file where you live, and he will have to respond there.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010