has any 1 eat their placenta ?

im going to do it by dehydrating mine & putting it in gel capsules & taking them i was just wondering if any 1 ate a pices right after birth i was told it helps lot

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm planning on doing that, too! I hear it's great for recovering from birth, and with the baby blues. No better natural medicine than medicine made by your own body. It's great to see that someone else is posting this. I asked a similar question before and got a lot of judgment for it. I was thinking of eating pieces, too. However I've decided for now, to leave that up to how I feel at the moment.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 4:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• yea im glad to hear that im not the only 1 as well lol.
    if you did eat a piece after birth how would you go about doing that im not sure on how you are suppose to ?
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 4:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• You can just eat it raw. It's sterile in your womb, your baby lived there! So, there's no harm in eating raw placenta right away. I guess you just bite off a chunk and eat it... but that's a bit too much for me, I think.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 4:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• yea it seems like it would be for me to but im just thinking about it so it helps right away you no
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 5:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• You ladies should start a little group here (I'd keep it private since people want to judge). There's bound to be plenty of other moms here that are planning to do the same thing and have advice or personal stories to share.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know cats do it, so do dogs. I was awake when my cat gave birth. Here was this medium size cat eating a placenta that looked 1/2 her size, if not a little bigger.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 6:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Hmmm yeah many members will judge; lillys posted a question about this the other day, and I was totally grossed out... not in a sense of "Ew that's horrible and how dare anyone do that;" but in a sense of WOW, that's something I definitely couldn't do, and I am glad someone can. To be more blunt and not sounding too weird, I am one of those one's that has a hard time seeing dead animals, even hunted ones, and I get sick at the sight of anything that looks similar. I am sorry that it raised so many eyebrows, but to many it is odd, and to many who are on here and are pregnant it's peculiar, fascinating, but at the same time it's easy to make certain ones sick; (my morning sickness is an all day thing...) I think starting a group is an awesome idea, and I wish you all luck in doing what you believe in :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 7:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• im not judging but what would a dr. think... excuse me dr. i would like to eat my placenta please give it to me. i would be embarrassed to ask. i wonder how comon that is? i heard about eating it and how its good for you but i couldnt do it i think thats like a fear factor thing to do lol good luck and if you do can you post back and say what it taste like im curious :D

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 7:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• yeah, I understand the benefits of eating it and that we are all mammals and it's natural.
    I just don't think I can. All those blood vessels and such.
    I have a hard enough time eating double cheeseburgers because they feel too meaty in my mouth.
    I can only imagine.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Whitenena, most mothers who eat the placenta (me being one of them) have homebirths. MANY mothers do this. It helps you bleed less, prevent anemia, and also prevents and helps postpartum depression. WIth my first I was i the hospital and my husband said we wanted the placenta and the doctor laughed. My husband pretended to get offended (he soooo wasn't) and the doctors were really appologetic. The doctor cut off a little piece and I put it under my tounge. It didn't really have a taste. Maybe a little like putting a coin in your mouth, but not a bad taste, just kind of neutral. With this next baby, due in May, we are not sure weather or not we will be doing a lotus birth, or eating the placenta again. If you do a lotus birth you can't eat the placenta. We will be planting the placenta with a tree for the baby. There is a group on here ladies who are interested.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2008