How long does approval on an online FAFSA form take?

I applied for a PEL grant online. Anyone know how long until I will hear something back?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 4:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Did you apply at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/?

If so you already missed the deadline. You can apply as early as January 1st for the 2010-2011 school year though. The sooner you apply the more likely you are to get it (it is first come first serve.) You'll hear back within a week as to whether or not you are accepted. And you can put on there your school(s) codes and they'll send them the information. Plus you can adjust it at any time to add more schools.

They will ask for you tax information for 2009, and most people don't have that at the beginning of the year. Just put down that you haven't filed yet and n estimate on how much your household income is. Later you will have to verify that information.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• They have a month to approve you... but once you do the first interview you have 2 weeks to turn in any information that they need.. then they have another month to approve you once all the info is in.. the quicker you turn it in the better
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I applied for financial aid and it didnt take long at all. Maybe 2 weeks? The school took longer than getting approved. lol
    jessiesluv

Answer by jessiesluv at 4:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I live in California and attend a community college. Once you do the FAFSA online they give that info to your school. This can take up to a week.Then the school mails you the rest of the forms they need and once you turn those forms back to them it takes 4-6 weeks before you get your award letter and your payments dates.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• If you did online FASFA application, you will have your approval within 2 days, along as you have submitted all needed info~~`
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Did I have to fill out an application to the school first? I was just seeing if I'd get aid first before applying to the school. The college I wanna go to is a trade school, you could say. I want to get my medical assistant certification.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• No. Now that you have done your FAFSA go apply to the school and do everything you have to do to get registered for classes. They won't send you the form until you have done that.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• ok. thanks mommytoJames!
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• School will take over now. I can;t file for fafsa until January 1st though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Online is supposed to take 3 days but check their site to make sure. It was 3 days when I signed my daughter up online.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2010