Was this the wrong thing to do?

My neighbors (in the apartment building) have this bad habit of leaving trash everywhere in the yard. Looks really crappy actually. I just went out there to sweep up and they had left several large boxes right in front of the building, next to my can. I looked in their can and it empty so I took their trash and stuffed it all in their can. They should get picked up tommorrow. I don't know why they couldn't throw it away themselves. It is getting really old that we have to clean up after them. Hopefully this will give them the hint. But my husband thinks I should have just left it alone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No, i think you did great. I would write an anonymous letter to the landlord complaining about the trash problem.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't think it was wrong that you did it. And I don't know if it will help or not. They may just think the garbage people picked it up. If you see them outside, just say something nice like, The garbage had flown out of your cans, and was all over the yard, so I picked it back up and put it back in for you. Then just smile. Maybe they'll get the hint.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't think you did wrong. I would talk to the landlord maybe and see what they think. I know it looks bad but if you stop picking it up and the landlord has to then they might step in to say something. I don't live in the greatest appts either and have this problem but the managment does clean up. I just keep my area clean.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 4:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• At least you were nice enough to put it in their can. You could have collected it all and left it on their doorstep instead. Maybe then they'd get the message (probably not, though, they'd probably just toss it all back where it was).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Nothing was wrong with what you did. I would have put it in front of their door.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!!!!! I thinkyou should tell the landlord or like the other lady said write a letter. I think they will get the hint now and if not then ther eis no hope for them.. If they dont get it now tha i would send a message by placing my trash by thier can!
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• That was nice of you to do. I agree with talking to the landlord about it if this is a constant problem. It shouldn't always fall on you to pick it up and I doubt the landlord wants their property to look bad.
    KelliW29

Answer by KelliW29 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would have done the same thing. Now, if they keep throwing it in the yard, next time I would bag it up and hang the bag on their door knob with a note that said something like, It seems like you missed a little something.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2010