How do you explain Asperger's Syndrome to a grandfather who thinks that the teen is just being manipulative and disrespectful?

I lost my job in July after I found out that my 17yr old daughter has Aspergers. We had to move in with my father till I can figure things out. Now because he thinks she is being disrespectful and manipulative he says he wants me to have a job and move out by Feb 1. I have been applying to everything and anything that I can but nothing is sticking. I don't know how to explain to him what AS is so that maybe he can understand what I am going through trying to find a job and get her the help she needs now that she is 18.

dceier

Asked by dceier at 4:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'm not sure what AS exactly is right now (I'll read up on it though), but what I would do, is take him with you to one of the doctor's appointments. Have the doc. explain it to him in a nutshell.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Honestly, some of the older generation just don't seem to understand I have that issue with some of my family with my son who has autism.
    The best thing might be to have him talk to the doctor, he might respect it coming from someone else other than you if he already thinks that you might be just making excuses for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree, doctor would be my first port of call.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree let him hear it from a doc. and then maybe get him some reading materials on it. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with him but maybe after he can fully understand the situation ask him is advice on how to handle some of it so he doesn't feel left out and let him know your concerns or if you are scared and fustrated. Let him be there for you. and maybe yalls relationship will grow from this situation as well as help your daughter. my son has autism my parents have all been very supportive but even though my sons father's parents have a son with autism they still think my son doesn't have it. I thankfully don't have to put up with his parents because we are separated. I have also heard of a website called autismspeaks.org I believe that is what it is. Maybe you can find more support and resources from other parents. Good luck. Things will get better!!!!!
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 4:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree with all The md will be your best bet. Good luck.pp. It's really difficult for some people to understand Aspbergers, especially older folks who were raised to have kids kept in "their place"
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Have you read the book "Look Me in the Eye"? It is a great memoir by a man who has AS and describes really well what it is like.

Good luck with your father, with your daughter & with the job search!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010