What can I give my boys. ages 4 and 2 1/2 when they are sick?

Since they pulled most of the children cold medicine off the shelf what can you give a child when they have a cold. I still have children's fever reduction medicine but when it gets past just a fever and goes into a full-blown cold, what can I give them?

Thank you.

rholie55

Asked by rholie55 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I give my 2yr old Hyland's Cough and Cold. You can get it from Wal-Mart and it is for age two and up. Hope the get well soon.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 4:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Never heard of it. I will have to try it. I need to give them something to ease their pain when they are sick. Looking at them suffering breaks my heart.
    rholie55

Comment by rholie55 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I still give my girls trimatic and that seems to help. A hydamyifer or vicks rub for them at night and plus nasal spray works good. Plus at night have them sleep propped up.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• children's nyquil at night
    Anonymous

• I struggle with this myself. I bought some honey cough syrup, (don't remember the brand) but it didn't help. My pediatrician gave us prescripton Claritin, but that doesn't do much either. We sort of suffer through, and it's easier now that she's 4 and can blow her noes. I know that doesn't help you, but I'll give you a bump.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• All answers have been helped. Thank you for taking the time to give me help, I really appreciate it.
    rholie55

Comment by rholie55 (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Mine get Children's Nyquil and a lot of rest.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Triminic seems to work well for mine and they are about the same age as yours.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't give my son anything. I just try to make him more comfortable (steamy baths help break up congestion) and lots of cuddles.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• There's a reason that stuff was pulled - it doesn't work (other reasons too). Our doctor was just telling me last week that after the recalls, they did some research (to see if they should re-formulate and put stuff back on shelves, or keep it pulled) and they found out that ibuprofen works better than any of that other stuff did - reason being, it's an anti-inflammatory, so it brings down inflamation in the sinuses/throat/etc, reducing stuffiness, and all that goes with it. So, try children's ibuprofen, dosing by weight. Time, rest, plenty of fluids, are all the best thing for a common cold. If you feel they need something beyond that, call the doctor.
    Anonymous