WHAT is NORMAL for BLOOD PRESSURE?

I'm Tall and big,almost 260 pnds!I know I should be 200 pnds at the most.What is the norm for high blood pressure for someone who's Tall at 200 pnds vs. someone who's my weight?Or what are the blood pressure numbers and what do they mean?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 5:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Health

• I was at 179,I don't remember the other number,before I started high blood pressure medicine.Now,I'm 144/?.This was after 2 weeks.I didn't know you could lowwer it that fast,some people say the medicine only lowers it a little bit.I wonder what made mine go down so fast?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 5:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have been watching my salt and avoiding anything in a can or box!
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 5:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• the norm is 120/80 mmHg all around. There is no norm blood pressure for height and weight.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 5:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• That's baazar! So a petite woman,who is 5'5 and is skinny, can have the same numbers as me?I didn't know that.I'm curious to understand what the ist number means and the second one?My doctor says she wants to get me down to 130.I'm confused because,I thought body weight had something to do with the amount of blood to the heart and it does but you say it doesn't?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 5:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No, bxbsmommy is right. Everyone's BP should be around 120/80. My doctors have always told me that the bottom number is the one to pay the most attention to. That one should stay below 80. If it jumps up into the 80's occasionally that's OK, but it shouldn't go over 90. You can get a cuff and check yourself at home to keep track of how you're doing. I bought one online for about $40, it's automatic and works great.

Also make sure you take your meds at the same time every day. I was having trouble because I wasn't always taking mine at the same time. Now I'm really careful and mine's been great.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The high and low numbers indicate a sort of range. Your top number is worrisome, but your bottom number is the number doctors get really concerned about when it starts to creep up. But yes, 120/80 is the "normal" but your "normal" can be a lot different. My "normal" is 100/60 which is really low (god knows how) so they know if I get to the regular "normal" of 120/80 something is going on.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Actually, now, the medical field is saying 120/80 is borderline Hypertensive (high blood pressure) so you should be below that. Like other people said, low salt diet, watch what you eat, get more exercise.
    antaniasmom511

Answer by antaniasmom511 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The top number is your heart at work or when your heart beats,the bottom number is your heart at rest or the lull.The reason the bottom number is of more concern is that it shows your heart is having to work harder to pump the blood when it should be at rest.Your weight has nothing to do with what a normal BP should be but it has a lot to do with getting it back down to normal.Hope this was helpful.
    mamawmom

Answer by mamawmom at 7:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Blood pressure flucuates constantly. Your bp can go from 179 on top to 144 on top within a day. It depends on all kinds of things, stress, pain levels, all kinds of stuff. Also norm is 120/80 for everyone regardless of height and weight. However, your bp is more likely to be high if you are overweight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Blood pressure numbers really depend on the person. Some people say 120/80 is the best and that may be true for most people. I have high BP and at my highest it was 170/110. I will never see a BP of 120/80 even on my meds. I know that if my BP is 140/80 something then I am doing okay.

If my bottom number starts to go up then I know I need to watch things.
    Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2008