What does paying in cash REALLY mean?

Say I have $3000 I can spend on one thing, and I haggle a salesperson down to that price, by saying I am paying in cash...do I actually have to carry the cash, write a check, or can I use a debit card?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I always thought it meant you're not financing it,but paying it in full now

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Cash. It's so they can avoid having the tax man see the income.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Its having actual cash in hand.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Cash in hand. It by-passes all the middle-men, like banks, credit card companies, credit card machine companies... With credit and debit card, they're charged a percentage of the sale. That's why banks have point rewards to get customers to use their debit cards as credit, and why stores prefer debit (or cash, obviously). And checks are a hassle because of the potential for a returned check fee.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 6:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It means paying in a manner that doesn't cost the other party anything to process. A Cashier's Check is the same as CASH, although now, it takes a few days to clear because there were so many fraudulent ones.

It's also hard to trace, so depending on what it is, it might be a tax free transaction for the other person (not saying it IS tax free, but that they won't claim the income).
    adryenn

Answer by adryenn at 6:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• it means your paying cold hard cash no strings attached...one less bill to worry about GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• cash, cashiers check or debit card in hand and make sure the price you haggle down to is the out-the-door price not the before tax price
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Cash, as in green legal tender. Not a cashier's check. Part of the reason they do it is to avoid paying tax on the income, so it has to be untraceable.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would say CASH IN HAND. Having the real green stuff on you.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I always thought it was having the green stuff on you too.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2010