Has anyone had a diastasis repair done during a c-section? My doc says he may try to do it. Wondering how recovery is and how dangerous it is to have this done at the same time? Please...I'm scared!

I mean my other option would be to wait but then it will be considered a tummy tuck. But it is not. I am not getting any fat sucked out. I'm a tiny person, just have a huge muscle separation from a 9lb baby.

dpmomofboys

Asked by dpmomofboys at 6:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• actually most GOOD doctors will not do this at the same time. Your uterus still has to shrink. It would be useless. I have it, and will def wait. Just worry on taking care of baby. it's very common and some people are actually lucky enough that it will heal back. You really need to wait. This is a procedure that needs to be done by a plastic surgeon honestly. If a doc says , he "may try to do something", I wouldn't. Your insurance won't cover it and if something was to happen and he didn't list it as a procedure, then that's big trouble. way too risky in my opinion.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• also, a tummy tuck has nothing to do with having fat sucked out. that's liposuction. if you have your muscle repaired, then yes, that is a tummy tuck. once they tighten the muscle what will you do with all the extra skin?? they have to disect the skin/tissue away from the muscle to get to it. once they have done that, then it just hangs there and needs to be taken care of properly. I have worked in surgery and with a lot of plastic surgeons for 10 years.....i would wait it I were you. You usually get what you pay for :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Thanks for your response. It didn't improve after two years so I know it wont this time. I have been told by a plastic surgeon I met with that a tummy tuck would include a bit of lipo, skin tightening, etc. But two different docs I talked to said that a DR repair is totally different (even the cut is diff--vertical instead of a bikini cut. I don't think I'd have extra skin according to my docs. I really had no fat in my belly or extra skin, just a bulge from my intestines poking out. I just don't want to be tricked into getting a tummy tuck if I don't need it. I'm a size 6 maternity and got back down to a 4 after my first baby...just doesn't seem like I need a tummy tuck. I just want to close the four-inch gap and repair my belly button hernia. I'm due in 4 weeks so I am totally stressing out about this.
    dpmomofboys

Comment by dpmomofboys (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• oh, it sounds more like a hernia repair...which in that case would most likely be covered by insurance. I know it's technically not, but it can be considered for insurance purposes. Lots of docs do that. I would personally prefer the bikini cut instead of vertical...those scars don't go away. If you don't have a plastic surgeon do the closure, a lot of times they can look pretty bad. I don't know...sometimes, you get what you pay for, ya know? If you're that nervous, then obviously, it's not meant to be right now. Just my opinion. Good luck with baby!! :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010