Is my sister in labor?

I know you cant tell for sure but your opinion please. She has had some intense contractions since 4am. They are about 2-3 mins apart but are sometimes 4-5 mins apart. She feels the baby like right there at the bottom. She feels like she has to poop but knows thats not what it is. The contractions aren't that bad pain wise...to her. I was on the phone with her while she had one and she didn't even flinch. She did talk to the nurse from the dr's office. I want to know our opinion before I say what the nurse said. Oh, she has not...that she knows of...lost her plug and her water hasn't broken.

BMW0508

Asked by BMW0508 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like yes,but just the 1st stage. That can go on for days unfortunately!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• not loosing mucus plug dosen't mean nothing. I would tell her to go to L&D. The same thing happen to me but my contractions was 10 min apart for 2 1/2 days and it felt like I had to poop. When I went to the doc she sent me straight to the hospital I was starting labor. And my contractions wasn't painful at all. had my baby 4 hrs later. Good Luck and tell her congrats!!!!!!!
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Sounds like she is in the first stage but as a pp said that can take days.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• You don't have to lose your mucus plug or have your water break to be in labor. Some woman have such a high pain tolerance that contractions don't bother them (that would be me) I literally had to have my woter broke in order to really feel intense contractions. Sounds like early stages of labor, but could also be braxton hicks. Tell her not to sit on the toilet just in case. Maybe she should get checked out. Like I said I have a high pain tolerance and with my second child was in labor all day with what I thought was braxton hicks, but my friend talked me into going into the hosp. I was only in active labor for 5 minutes and pushed her our in 3 :) good thing I went in.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• IF in doubt I would get checked out. I remember with my first one that we went to the doctor I did not know my water had broke just kept coming potty and even the doctor could not find the bag of water. with other two I was inducted so no help that way. If wait to long and is in labor she might not be able to have pain medicine if needs it for the pain later on. Better safe than sorry.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yep - like the others said. :D I had contractions for weeks with two of my pregnancies. Throughout the weeks they got closer together and harder, but would fade away in the early morning hours, only to start back up in the afternoon. In the last week they were catching my breath and waking me up at night. It's annoying, but is just getting the body ready,.

congratulations to your sister!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Some womens water is harder to break. I would tell her to go to the hospital, just to be safe!
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I did tell her to go to the hospital. They are about an hour away from her hospital at an inlaws house. (Her, my mom and mom's bf). I will post an update when I hear something.
    BMW0508

Comment by BMW0508 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Sounds like. I did not lose my mucus plug before going into labor.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• She went to the hospital and is dilated to 1. She is completely thinned out. The nurse felt the baby's head. They asked her if she wanted to stay and be monitored or go home. She went home. Still having contractions. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your opinions everyone!
    BMW0508

Comment by BMW0508 (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2010