my daughter has diarrhea

For the past 4 days my daughter has has the runs. When I say runs I'm not joking, right down her legs (totally misses the diaper) I thought she could be allergic to orange juice, but I quit giving it to her and it's getting worse! All she's had is water or milk. She hasn't eaten anything abnormal. She did get into the kitty food ( out of the bag) yesterday, but she only ate one piece before I caught her red handed. I have been trying to give her foods that would help like bananas and cheese, but its not helping. Any advice or should I make a doctor appt.? She has no fever, but she might be teething. She did point to her gums this morning and they were a bit swollen.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cheese is not good for diarrhea...give her the brat diet. Bananas, rice, apples/applesauce and toast (dry) you can give her a glycerin suppository. I gave this to my daughter at around 9 months of age per her pediatrician. good luck.give her pedialyte popsicles to keep her hydrated. hydration is the most important thing. I would take her in anyway.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• could be that dreaded Rotavirus

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Should I take her in?
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• not unless she's getting dehydrated. There's nothing a doc can do for her,it has to run its course

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I always follow the BRAT diet. I was just giving examples :) cheese actually consitpates her and I am getting desperate so I thought I would try it. Her butt is just so sore :(
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Thank you guys for your answers :) I will continue to keep her hydrated and give her some pedialyte popcicles, I actually forgot I had them! If it continues I will take her in to the doctor first thing in the morning.thanks again!
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Dairy, while commonly a constipator, can actually make diarrhea worse when a kid has it. Cut all dairy. And be very very careful, becasue if it would happen to be rotovirus, that is extremely contagious - and can last for weeks. It put my DD in the hospital.
    Anonymous