How do you convince your child to eat certain foods?

I mean if they don't like something but you want them to eat. Vegetables, milk, etc.:)

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 6:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• you can mix it with different things...some kids don't like the taste/texture. With milk, try putting just a tiny amount of chocolate powder to flavor...it's got a heck of a lot less sugar than juice :) they go through stages too.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Grilled cheese sandwiches are great places to hide veggies!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't give them a choice. I am mean.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Keep offering and if that doesn't work bribery. ;)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• vegs with dip, fruit with dip, vanilla yougrt with m and m's, milk with cereal or milkshake, ensure drinks to make up for some things, shreedded cheese on mashed pts, my girls like turkey sausage and turkey bacon but not plain susage, blueberry pancakes, fruit inside of a coffee cake, carrot cake or muffins, just make things fun. Check also family fun mag. or cook books which are good sites and places for kids ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 7:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Milk is unnecessary. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Your child may be in what I call the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

• Haha, my children are fine:) They eat everything and anything. Sometimes the bigger tells: I don't like that. But when she tries it (because she has to try it and eat that much) she finds out she loves that food:D I was just curious what other mums do. Just peaking for tricks:P

adriennfaklya

Comment by adriennfaklya (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2010