How can you feed 2 people and a baby dinner for 5 days on less than $10?

I need some ideas for super cheap meals for dinner. We have pretty much no ingredients for cooking, except the basics like flour, sugar, salt. We don't mind eating the same thing more than once.

Thanks!

mandylou85

Asked by mandylou85 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Do you have any really cheap stores near you? Rice and beans are cheap, you'll need to use dry beans from scratch, oatmeal is cheap, although you may have to skip putting milk or butter on it. I'd say buy some oatmeal, a bag of white rice, a pound of pinto, or navy beans, ramen noodles or mac & cheese, usually you can get fresh carrots & cabbage really cheap, you'll of course have to peel the carrots yourself. You may be able to get a jar of peanut butter, especially if you have a 99cent store near.

I've made several meals from 1 whole chicken, if anyone has them on sale near you. Boil the whole chicken in water, if you have seasonings, use thyme, garlic, salt pepper to season. Remove the chicken and save the broth. You have a pot of homemade chicken broth. Bone the chicken. put a small amount (maybe 1/4 of the meat) into the broth, and add carrots and celery. You can add onions if you have & a small amount of rice

cont:
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• cont. let it simmer, and you have soup, plus 3/4 of a chicken left for other meals. I add chicken to stuffing mix to stretch it out, or to au gratin potatoes.

Potatoes are also a cheap filler, and you could put chicken on top of a baked potato with gravy or bbq sauce.

Check your food ads to see what is cheapest this week.

also see if there is a food pantry through a local church, or the salvation army. They may be able to help you out with some food.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Check the sales at the stores around you. I can often get a whole chicken for 49 cents a pound on sale. That can easily be made into 3 meals (I do it for our family of 6). Cook it and cut the meat off the breast for the adults. Cut up little pieces for the baby. Pull of the rest of the meat and use it the next day for a casserole (with rice or pasta). The third day - boil the bones, pick off the last of the meat, and make a soup.

Eggs are also a really cheap meal. Make a quiche or just have scrambled eggs.

I think I would buy spaghetti noodles ($1), Rice ($2), Chicken ($3-4), fresh veggies (whatever is on sale - $2), Eggs and milk with what is left.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• beans and rice are cheap and nutricious.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Let us know what you come up with!! And just wanted to tell you, most of us have gone through this. We had a really rough Christmas when our boys were little. Hubby laid off right before Christmas, but over the years things have gotten better, and we haven't had to worry about putting food on the table since....I'm wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.....and many more to come!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Sounds like Ramen Noodles for a while or soups.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Easily, yeah. Do you have yeast?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would get a loaf of bread and some penaut butter and jelly. If you buy the cheap brands it can be done.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• like 2$ of Ramen noodles idk u can get 10 for 1$ here and like 1/4 of some lunch and cheese and cheep loaf of bread
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Half gallon milk $2.00
    Mac n cheese 2 for $1.00
    Box of ramen noodles 2.00
    Can foods less than $1.00 each
    Cereal
    Hotdogs

Be creative you can very well have a cheap but well balanced meals under $10
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010