Does this make you feel any safer?

Bush Intel. Chief: Obama ‘Has Been As Aggressive, If Not More Aggressive In Pursuing’ Terrorists
For the past two years, conservatives have repeatedly attacked President Obama for supposedly endangering American lives by not being aggressive enough in going after terrorists. But a year after the failed bombing attempt on Christmas Day for which Obama received immense criticism from the right, a key Bush intelligence official refuted these right-wing attacks today on CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley. Retired Vice Admiral Mike McConnell, who served as the Director of National Intelligence under President Bush, said the Obama “administration has been as aggressive, if not more aggressive in pursuing” terror threats:

MCCONNELL: Both general Hayden and I served in the previous administration and we got a lot of criticism for being aggressive, and so on. … My observation is that the new administration has been as aggressive, if not more aggressive in pursuing these issues, because they’re real. And so, regardless of which side of the political spectrum –

CROWLEY: And you commend them for that?

MCCONNELL: I do commend them for that.

Meanwhile, retired Gen. Michael Hayden, who served as the head of the CIA under Bush and appeared along with McConnell on CNN today, warned against overreacting to the “low threshold” attacks that Al-Qaeda and their ideological allies now employ. “We cannot allow our response to that kind of event to turn a tactical success for Al-Qaeda into a strategic defeat for us,” Hayden said, by “overreacting to it by suppressing our commerce and our convenience.”

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• No, I don't feel any safer now than I did before. I am not under any impression that we are able to prevent much from happening if someone is determined enough.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would feel better if there wasn't so much done just for appearances. The TSA comes to mind. They have been proven ineffective, and yet we're giving them more power.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• “We cannot allow our response to that kind of event to turn a tactical success for Al-Qaeda into a strategic defeat for us,”

A tactical success is a success, period. Our reaction should have, at its core, a response that makes another "tactical success" less attractive and more costly to the terrorist. Prevention by infiltration and pressure on known areas as well as stopping this ridiculous, politically correct reluctance to identify the enemy. Deterrence by sanctions, ruthlessly bombing their encampments and swiftly punishing captured terrorists. The only thing a terrorist respects is superior power...nothing else even registers on their radar. We've had these ideological and religious wars before and even a cursory glance at history teaches this concept.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 8:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• No...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The same not any safer than Before. By us being there things will get worse!
    They have said get out or we will kill Americans!! It was said before 9/11
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The same.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Someone please tell me why I should feel safer now? I doubt anyone can because we are not. After 9-11 we had no attempts, or no attempts that got far enough to even notify Americans about. Now seems we have one every week. The reason they say they are being more aggressive is because they HAVE to be more aggressive. I don't care what they say and who says it, if they think whatever these more aggressive tactics are, are helping they are crazy. Most of it has been luck so far.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• not really
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, I do. Look at all the security measures we have in place now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2010