For those that DON'T do the Santa thing...

How do you handle people who assume you do?

Example: We took our kids shopping & the lady at check out asked them what Santa brought them. The kids (who are 3 & 4) just said "Nothing." And the lady got an attitude with us... What the kids didn't tell her is not only did MOM & DAD give them Christmas Gifts, but they also got Yule Gifts 4 days earlier from MOM... It's not like we deprived them of anything, but that's how she acted...

I wanted so bad to get an attitude right back, but I just brushed it off.

But I wonder how other parents deal with this kind of thing? When someone asks your kids about Santa, do you interject with a "We don't do the Santa thing" or do you just leave it be & let people assume you're a "bad mom"?

Honestly, it bothers my DH more than me, but it does get to me.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• It's not all that uncommon not to do the Santa thing. I would just ask your kids right after they said, "nothing," "What did Mommy get you for Christmas?" in a light tone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Actually we do the Santa thing, but I would just say "we don't do the Santa thing". People should mind their own business! Not doing the Santa thing could be for a million reasons- you could be from another religion that doesn't celebrate Christma for all she knows!

I hate people who just assume their better than other people because they have one tiny piece of info about them!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 7:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I'm Jewish. That's all I say.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 7:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Around here, not doing the Santa thing is like worshiping Satan... It's a very very small, very very sheltered & very very Christian area. We actually have over 40 churches between my borough and the next (in total about 3000 people live between the two). I've actually been told I don't deserve to be a mom because we don't do Santa.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I told my DD that people will ask her what Santa brought. I told her that if she wants to avoid a longer discussion, to just tell them what you got for Christmas. I also tell her that most kids believe in Santa & that it would be very rude of her to go around telling other kids she doesn't believe in him. She knows how to deal & does well when people ask her these questions. She just lists off stuff her family got her & then the conversation is over. She rarely tells people she doesn't believe in Santa because she is not interested in what they have to say back to her. People usually boo hoo when she tells them she doesn't believe & she hates that. So she tries to avoid that discussion all together.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would assume that people generally mean well when asking that question and would not be inclined to give attitude at all. We don't really "do" the Santa thing either, but when people ask my kids what Santa brought them, they understand that they are being asked what they got for Christmas and they answer.
    I think it's lovely that people try to make small talk with children and don't get upset about little, insignificant stuff like that. I don't want my kids to grow up being oversensitive about everything either. If it bothers you, then I would do just as lovinangels suggested and guide the children to tell what they got for the holidays, whether it was from "Santa" or not.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• i know Sabrina...here too. People have criticized the heck out of us for not believing...it's so friggin annoying!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The Santa thing is only an English thing. In Europe the Little Jesus share his presents from the three kings with the people who were good and faithful all year long. I live in England so I am aware of Santa but we still celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. You know I got tired of rude people lately. So I simply just ask for the manager if anyone has problem with my life. It is not their business how I raise my children. And it is discrimination anyway (I mean yelling at someone who don't use Santa as a holiday hero.) I understand you and your HB are upset because someone was rude. But honestly: who was that woman for you? A nobody. So stop worrying what that bad and nosy woman said and start to enjoy the rest of your holiday:) You know you are good parents. So who cares what all the other people think who don't even know you?!!!! Merry Christmas:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I TELL MY 8 Y O I AM HIS MS.SANTA....THATS THE WAY MY PARENTS RAISE US MOM N DAD IS SANTA...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My son is two and when people ask him that I just say to him say "my momma tells me Santa is pretend." But Mommy and Daddy got me a ........................................
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010