great grandmother

So my family had to move in to my grandmother in-laws and since we did 2 months ago, my daughter refuses to listen to me or my husband. now my daughter is strong willed but she does listen to us sometimes lol. my husband and I have already been on the Virge of divorce over us fighting cause cay who is 15 months will not do what we tell her now our parenting has not changed we redirect we interact we even walk away if we are scared to hurt her.

ok well the prob is we say no she cry's runs to her great grandmother and she makes it all better by going ageist what ever we say, she laughs when we try to discipline and she gives in when she is saying no. she lets her get away with anything.

I just needed to vent and ask how I tell her that she is making me go insane cause she counter dicks me and my husband and is alimentary hurting cay in the presses

shannonmcgeehen

Asked by shannonmcgeehen at 7:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your child is 15 months and wont listen? NORMAL. You and your husband need to have a conversation and compromise on how you would like your daughter to be raised. Then let the grandmother know.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 7:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Normal, hate to scare you, but wait 6 more months....I thought my son was at the terrible 2s around 18 months, he is 28 months now and the way he acted then is cake compared to now. But you all have to be consistent. And don't let her run to gramma, take her to her room. Period. If she needs a time out and gramma is interfearing, make her time out spot in the corner in her room. And you or dad stand there with your back to her in the doorway until her minute or 2 minutes is up. Then briefly tell her, No throwing that's bad behavior. Tell her that on the way to TO and the same thing when removing from TO. Keep it simple. Good luck.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Oh, and it was advised to me recently to focus on one behavior for 2 weeks before adding another negative behavior to the TO list. Usually by 2 weeks it does begin to dissolve, then another behavior can be focused on. But you still take to TO for a negative behaivor it it was a previous one...hope that makes sense. And try to get a routine if you don't already have one.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• You are the parents. Set the rules for your daughter and inform great grandma that this is how it is. She is not the parent and needs to leave that to your and your husband. The sooner you get this point across to your daughter and great grandma, the better your lives will be.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Grandparents love to spoil little ones ( good ones do) its just a fact, but since you live with her, you need to explain to gr.granma that although you appreciate her love/spoiling , right to spoil even, in this case it works against child's best interests and will cause child to get very unruly where she isnt going ot mind anyone at all, do th etime out thing mentioned above but also set up certain things for granma to be able to do also and let her know it is out of respect for her need/right to spoil a granchild that you want to agree with her on a set program/ways to spoil such as the extra cookie after lunch/dinner or some things that granma can do but when it comes to the basic rules all adults must be on the same page, united ,- just be sure you let granma give the cookies out , let granma do some extra holding/rocking before bedtime, read a story,... when you pick up a new sippie cup, let granma give it,....
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2010