Married men and their platonic single female BFFs

Is that even do-able? I mean, really? Can an already married man meet a single woman and become BFFs with her? Call or text her daily because they are "just friends"? Does that make sense to anyone? Someone please tell me it's normal (or it's not, lol)!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• i dont think its normal. i think you should be your husbands bff if he did meet any females i would expect them to be friends of the marriage . meaning you meet her and you all hang out , talk whatever. i would also wonder why she wants to be such a close friend with a married man
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 8:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I'm sure it's possible. But, since most men think with their dicks...they probably think the chick wants them. I have made male friends at work & it usually was only a matter of time before they said something inappropriate. DH says i am too nice to them & they take it the wrong way. The only friend i made after i got married, was with an old man at my work. He was so super sweet & funny. BUT, he is friends with DH too, that makes a huge difference. Tell your DH that if he is going to have chick friends, that they need to be your friend too. Otherwise it's unacceptable. That's what i told DH about his ex that is always saying my DH is one of her best friends. I told him that the ONLY way he can stay friends with her, is if she is my friend too. If she can;t be my friend, then that is an obvious sign that there is more feelings involved. Listen to your gut too...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• NO and I wouldn't put up with it for a minute.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Ummm... No! I mean if it was someone he knew from a long time ago and they got back in touch, maybe. But someone new, no. Especially, because I would think that he should consider you his true best friend and call and text you more than anyone else. Does he?
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My hubby is friends with many women on FB and he is always calling them "hun" and telling them he loves them. Doesn't bother me at all because I know he loves me. I have male friends that I talk to online and in real life.

It all comes down to TRUST. Do you really TRUST your hubby/SO or are you just suspicious of everything? Yes, I am aware that many women have been burned by their exes but what about the rest of you (general) who have not been cheated on? What is your excuse? What makes you so paranoid?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have male BFFs...dont want them at all..I even have made NEW male friends who work with my husband and text them ALL the time....So yes you can make a new BFF..Whats weird about it?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Old friends that he knew before you...not BFF, but pals...okay. But new friends. REALLY???

I don't think so. That sounds like BS to me.

Why would any married man need a new female friend? Especially one he's got to be texting and talking to all the time?
    Oh, H E L L N O ! !
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 8:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• This is a hard question. In a perfect world, married men and women should be able to have friends of both sexes. However, our world is far from perfect and this can be a troublesome situation. Talk to your husband about it, but DONT accuse him. Ask him how he would feel if you made a new attractive single male friend whom you texted all the time. I bet he would be jealous and paranoid too.

In these situations, I always try to think about how my boyfriend would feel if I did the same to him. If I think he would have the same feelings, then I approach the subject delicately. If I think he wouldn't react the way I did, I check my reaction. Not that different people don't react different ways - I guess it's just something to check unnessecary paranoia.
    frombong2mom

Answer by frombong2mom at 9:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• No, it is not realistic.

I don't believe it is an issue of trust either.

I think it is an issue of respect. A man who respects and honors his marriage will not seek friendships with single women. And it works the other direction too, any self respecting single women is not going to go to married men to find her new BFF.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2010