Why does my KitchenAid Mixer Cookbook include...

...a recipe that doesn't use my stand mixer?!? It's a biscuit recipe and it says to blend the ingredients in a medium bowl and cut in the butter... can I use my stand mixer to cut in the butter? Maybe using the whisk attachment?

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 8:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• They wanted to see if you were paying attention! =) No, really, no clue why they'd have a recipe that wouldn't call for use of the KA =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes, i'm pretty sure you can. My Kitchen aid mixer came with different sized bowls, maybe that's what they meant?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• There's no attachment for a kitchenaid that will cut in butter like you want to do for biscuits or pie crust. Use a food processor or do it with knives by hand. The paddle or the dough hook would just overwork them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I thought that was pretty weird, too, but I love my Kitchen Aide Mixer. I LOVE IT.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• lucky, I want a Kitchenaid!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Well, I went ahead and tried it with the whisk attachment. It didn't seem very effective at the time, because the butter kept sticking to the whisk and I had to keep stopping it and scraping the whisk. But the end result is actually pretty good! It's hate to dirty my food processor just for that, but next time I will probably go ahead and cut the butter in with the hand utensil I have for it (don't know what it's called - pastry blender, maybe?). I just don't get why it's in the cookbook for the mixer if it doesn't use a mixer!
    debbymichelle

Comment by debbymichelle (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It will not work, they will be messy to work with, and they will not rise. Don't do it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• hmmm, not sure.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yeah, I think you can.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010