Can you give a 4 year old medicine for a headache

My son has been complaining his head hurts pretty much all day. He just came out of bed to tell me he still hurts. I am calling his doctor in the morning because his ear is red, and he has a slight fever ( he is prone to ear infections). Anything I can do now to ease his pain?

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 8:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I agree that you should treat his headache, but if they repeat it is key to get your child seen. I have a five year old who was just diagnosed with miagranes, so even this little the problems can be more serious that just a little headache.
    Noahs_Mom2005

Answer by Noahs_Mom2005 at 4:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• tylenol or motrin

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• yes, the children's tylenol liquid (not the infants drops....they have one that is for older kids), but the chewable ones are for 6 and up. just get the liquid and it has the dosage chart on the side that goes by weight or age (but weight is safer).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Why wouldn't you give him something? That's why they make Tylenol and Motrin (or their generic counterparts). If you had a headache what would you take? Or would you just suffer?
    I take Ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) for my headaches usually.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Childrens tylenol, childrens motrin, or childrens aleve. You can get on their websites to find the correct dosage. I hope he gets to feeling better!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• As the others have said either Children's Tylenol, or Motrin. Also, have him drink lots of water. Most headaches come from dehydration of the brain.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I blanked out on this. I for some odd reason was thinking that he could not take anything. But it is for a cough they usually say not to give anything at his age. I just gave him some ibprofen and will be sending him back to bed in a minute, we're sharing icecream.:)
    sandbuster

Comment by sandbuster (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Like the others said: Tylenol or Motrin. Hope your little one feels better.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010