im looking to start my son in daycare when he is 8 months..... what should i be expecting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• well of course kids will get sick when they're around other kids who get sent to daycare sick. unfortunately, there are moms out there that will send their kids to school sick as a dog. as long as they're not over the "policy's temperature" (our daycare has to call the parent once they are at a temp of 101 or higher, then the parent has an hour to pick up, other daycares have their own policy temp) they will be sent to school. those kids who are not used to daycare, the first year they are there, they will more than likely get sick alot, because they've been home and not around kids as often as they are at school. my kids never got sick. this year is their first year at school, and yes, they've been sicker than ever. ear and sinus infections, pink eye, my dd even got it all at the same time. next year though, they should be better immune to it, i'm hoping....
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• you will need a birth certificate or birth letter and shot record. when he's in there, you should get a paper that tells what he did that day, what he ate, how much he ate, ect. if you're breastfeeding, you have to send in the breastmilk pumped and frozed/cold, in a cooler. if you're FF, check with the daycare, some will mix the formula with the water, as long as the formula and water are premeasured. some won't, and you have to have it premade and it be refridgerated, they will warm it up. as for what they do during the day, at 8 months you should look for things like "had floor/tummy time", played in excersaucer, worked on balance, played with toys, ect. the daycare i work at (i'm the infant teacher) we have to move infants every 30 minutes to a different activity, so they're not sitting in an excersaucer all day. they will also change his diaper every hour, some will even if he's dry, depends on the daycare.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• depending on what state you are in, there are certain ratios. like, here in VA, the ratio for an infant is 1 teacher to 4 babies. every state is different though, you can probly find it on your state's website. there should also be a site for you to go to and see if there are any citations. if not, they have to have one on display of their recent inspection, and it will have everything on there that they did wrong. When you look at it, IMO look for things like 'left chemicals (like cleaning supplies) out in children's reach", left supply cabinet open and/or unlocked, and it's accessible to children". anything like that would have me worry a bit, ask about it as well. if it's mainly just paper stuff, like they were waiting for a mom who didn't bring in a shot record in time, or something of a paperwork nature, i wouldn't even be worried. sometimes paperwork doesn't get done in a timely manner.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• any questions feel free to ask :) i'll answer as best i can
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• him getting sick all the time, that is what happened with my kids, they got sick all of the time and i missed a ton of work because of it. in fact all of my kids were getting dehydrated from being there all day with no drinks even though i supplied sippy cups and drinks..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Start looking right away. Many have waiting lists. I have always had good luck with family daycare (in a home). Our provider is wonderful. My children love her. They do get sick in the beginning, but they build up a great immunity. My kids NEVER get sick any more, haven't in years. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010