I am too tired to deal with my 2.5's antics at bedtime...can you help a momma out??

My 2.5 year old watches an episode of Handy Manny before having her evening bath. She then gets her jammies on, has some milk while sitting in her crib, then goes to bed. She used to follow her routine with no complaints.....

Now she protests when the cartoon is over, because she wants to watch another episode. She complains about getting in the bath. Tonight, when I turned out the lights and proceeded to leave the room, she decided to stand up in the crib and cry.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. By the end of the day, I'm worn out. I am usually very hungry and very tired, and too worn out to deal with my daughter's antics.

She'll have to eventually transition to a toddler bed, and I'm wondering how it will be when she can easily get out of her bed when she doesn't want to go to bed.

Can anyone offer me any encouragement or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd have a snack with her befor ebedtime that way she is full enough to sleep and you wont be so hungry by the time your routine is all done and only let her have water after bath and brushing teeth before bed, you could try also giving her either a older stuffed toy or get a new one fro dollar tree or somewhere to sleep with, her new nighttime sleep buddy, or a new night light can help make a lil one be quiter even if she just stares at it awhile, she will ease off to sleep--hopefully.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Well my daughter is like that too but my mom gave me an old recipe if you have lettuce at home get some leaves and boil water then after is boiling take it out of the heat and add the lettuce, let it stand for like 30- 40 min and add it to her bath water without the lettuce and regulate the temp as usual I don't know why but that relax her and after the bath she is already sleepy so I put a cartoon that I found on the internet is in spanish but before it ends she is already sleep. The music is kind of relaxing even if they do not understand a word of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5nQW8M3nU
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• She is at an age where she will try her boundaries. She is also old enough that you can let her "cry it out" as long as all of her needs are met and she isn't sick. I would let her cry for a little while. She will most likely calm down when she realizes her antics aren't working. As for the toddler bed, we had the same worries and issues with my oldest when we transitioned her to her toddler bed. We found the best thing was to put up a baby gate in the doorway of her room so she was at least confined to her room. Every 10 minutes or so, we would put her back into bed and explain to her that it was bedtime. If she threw a fit, we ignored her. It only took a few nights for her to be comfortable, and we kept the crib up as backup in case she would just not go to sleep. Worked like a charm and the crib was down within the month. Good luck and get some r&r when you get the chance! *hugs*
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• ohh buddy sounds like heaven compared to what im dealing with! m 2.5 and 4.5 year olds.. lay down at 9 and its me putting them abck in bed every 5 mins atleast until 11 or 12..... lots of screaming and crying and more milk please and a nother movie its a mess...
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Are you just getting home from work or something to that effect to why you are so hungry and tired? Just kinda wondering, if so maybe she is at that stage where she is realizing that she misses you and whats to spend some time with you besides getting reay for bed. If it is something that you can't change do to a work schedule or schooling ect then I say you need to Be consistant, she is trying to see what she can get away with, if she gets away with it once she will continue to do it. She don't understand that your hungry and tired, she just knows that she wants a change that your not willing to give.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2010