How much do you give a 4 1/2 yo? My daughter only goes once every 1-2 weeks.

beenrudy

Asked by beenrudy at 8:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• give what?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• how about you explain the issue......then someone can help you!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• poop??
    stool softener??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• If we are talking about bowel movements, I would not give her anything and take her to her peds office.. Only going once every 1-2 weeks is not normal and may be more serious than constipation...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Eliminate dairy, simple/while grains, sugar, and meat. Build meals around whole grains, vegetables, fruits and legumes. Only water to drink

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Sorry, should have explained further. She has never been regular. We are pretty sure she is holding it in until her body cannot hold any more and then she finally goes. We have tried the natural way of softening her stool, such as eliminating dairy, increasing fruits and some veggies. She has even been drinking a mix of apple and prune juice. Doesn't seem to help very much. The doctor had us attempt a liquid colace and we added flavor to it and she wouldn't take it at all. Wanted to try putting Benefiber in her juice to see if that helps and was wondering how much to give.
    beenrudy

Comment by beenrudy (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The doctor recommended for my son who is 3, was 2 at the time it was recommended, 1 teaspoon twice a day. We found that to be too much, and generally use half teaspoon every day/every other day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Thanks for the help, I appreciate that! Do you mix it right in with juice?
    beenrudy

Comment by beenrudy (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Give her probiotics - all the chemicals in other poop helpers can screw with the body and make the body dependent on them. I would first find out if she has health issues making it difficult for her to poop - sometimes the (can't think of the proper name for it, but the last few inches before the anus) can be not quite right - requiring surgery to fix (a local pastor's daughter just had the surgery for it a month ago and is pooping daily with ease now). If there's nothing wrong with her, try probiotics - they help the good bacteria that's normally present in the intestines, they keep the intestines happy pretty much. My youngest was on them from 3 weeks til 15 months, he didn't poop daily without them, but he had no issues when we weaned him down/off, and is pooping perfectly fine now. Get a good one that requires refrigeration from a health food store.
    Anonymous

• I put it in whatever beverage he's having at that time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2010