what classes did you take ?

i am looking for some help deciding on classes to take for labor and etc. i know i am going to take infant cpr, but i dont know what other one to take. i know lamaze is very common. how early do you take the classes? your input would be greatly appreciated

new_mom_2011

Asked by new_mom_2011 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, I never took any. We had to do infant CPR in school, but for those who didn't or who need a refresher, I do suggest that one. Beyond that, I have never found a reason for any of them. Most of them are more propaganda than anything else. Parenting is 90% common sense in the first few years... Unfortunately that's not something that can be taught.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• i have taken adult cpr, but i would love to make sure i am doing the best for our daughter
    new_mom_2011

Comment by new_mom_2011 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I didn't have to take the CPR class b/c I am an instructor. We took the birthing class at the Hospital b/c it covered everything and we got a tour of the hospital - the labor and delivery, maternity area. The class lacked content and the lady was so anti Epidural that I actually told her off at the end. For us BCBS payed for the class, and my hubby said it helped him. I had read enough that it was lame IMO. Good luck, which ever you pick!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• : took a birthing class both times it helped a lot imo. Congrats ;)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• what are the different birthing classes? and do they teach different things?
    new_mom_2011

Comment by new_mom_2011 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• IDK if there are different classes - the depends on your hospital. Ask your OB/Midwife and/or call the hospital and ask to speak to someone in the education department... they should be able to answer your questions!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• If you're looking to save money, just watch some videos on youtube for infant CPR. The other classes, in my opinion, are SO overrated. My coworker took a hypnotic birthing class and said it helped for the first 20 minutes.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I have taken a few different kinds of classes, some several times over!
    ;-)
    lol
    I loved Birthing From Within and Bradley and waterbirthing classes.
    I have also taken classes for doula certification.
    I want to take HypoBirthing and HypnoBabies, and something extraordinary like the Ice Walk...

I recommend that you do prepare for birth~ as much as you can/are interested.
    The more you are aware of your options and are able to choose what is best for you with the information you have, the better.
    And having great support makes a huge difference, too. Whoever will be with you can prepare as well.

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• oh!

And take classes as soon as you can...
    I think it's important to let the concepts and questions steep in your mind.
    You can spend the following weeks-months re-researching, continuing on with what classes have started on.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:00 AM on Dec. 27, 2010