Looking for some tips on how to handle my 7 yr old son when his ADHD medication wears off?

I am a parent of 4 children, 1 who has been diagnosed with ADHD and 1 who has not been diagnosed but fits the profile. My 7 yr old son who is currently on Adderall seems to crash terribly. And when he does crash he becomes quite the behavioral issue with tempter tantrums, biting, kicking, and any other defiant disorder you may think of. I am looking for suggestions on how to cope with these issues when they arrise. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my son was diagnosed with ADHD, we put him on meds. Made things worse. Turns out he wasn't ADHD. He is allergic to corn syrup, HFCS, and sorbitol. When we removed those from his diet, he stopped the kicking, biting, hitting, etc. He is 8 now, hasn't been on meds since he was 5. Good luck.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would say that you should talk to his doctor about this & maybe they'll place him on another type of med that won't cause him to crash so hard. And maybe just maybe try having him evaluated for autism just to make sure that he isn't having some kind of autism.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would change his diet. that is what has worked for a lot of people I know. You can google for adhd diet and supplements.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:50 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Change his diet and talk with his Dr.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It's probably the wrong medication.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would talk to his doctor. Was he diagnosed by his pediatrician or a psychiatrist? If it's truly ADHD then a psychiatrist might be a better choice. I saw a psychiatrist then entire time I was on meds for ADHD. She was able to help me navigate life in a better, healthier way, and she was able to help me monitor my dosing. I decided a few years ago to go off my meds, but if I ever feel like going back on them, that's the way I'd do it.

I can tell you that diet makes a huge difference too. You can ask your doctor about seeing a registered dietitian who knows about that kind of thing. When we are gluten free, both my daughter and I are much happier people, and much easier to be around.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would spank for the tantrums. I have a 7 year old with ADHD and hes been on meds in the past(but so far they all seem to make him sick so hes off now) but I try and treat him as much like his siblings discipline wise as possible. I have found that not allowing him to use his ADHD as an excuse helps a lot. Because in the ends the meds won't give him self control he needs to learn self control himself. And you can't let him use the meds as a crutch. Spanking sounds harsh and the "experts" advise aganist it but it works wonders with my youngest.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would get a second opinion, since ADHD is often a misdiagnosis. ADHD is often a sign of being on the spectrum. A developmental ped may be a good start. I'm also on adderall, and yes, you can crash hard. If he's on it, he should be getting 2 doses/day. One in the am, and another around 4pm, that way he crashes, at bedtime. Concerta is better IMO, but doesn't work as well, it's not as strong as adderall. I also have the adhd diagnosis, but only as a comorbid dx to Aspergers. I only take it as needed, when I'm overstimmed. Changing his environment can help, make it sensory friendly...no clutter. Does he have an IEP at school? assuming he's not homeschooled. If not, talk to the school about getting him an IEP, and be sure to include giving him a rest period if they see him gettng flustrated. Google can help as well LOL.. check out sensory overload, sensory integration disorder.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2011