Birthdays...ettiquette...WWYD?

You get an invitation in the mail to a neice's 4th birthday party ("Princess _____ is turning 4. You are invited to _____________ at 12:00pm on Sunday, December 26." Yadda yadda. In the RSVP line it says "Hope to see you there!"). At a restaurant 40 miles away. At 12:00pm. On a Sunday. The Sunday after Christmas, to be exact. You buy her a little gift, pack up your kids, drive the 40 miles on kind of crappy roads, just to get there and find out no meal is provided. Everyone is on their own for paying for their buffet. (Everyone includes not that many people - less than 20. Buffet costs $6.95, including the drink.) So, of course since it's lunch time and your kids are hungry, you go pay and eat. You're not the only one taken by surprise by this, and not the only one not too thrilled by it.

So this is how our Sunday went. This is my little brother and his wife, and her child's birthday. But seriously. What if we hadn't had the money to pay for our lunch? It was pure luck/chance that we actually had the money today. It said NOTHING in the invite that they weren't covering it, NO ONE knew (SIL's sisters, me, both our sets of parents, her elderly aunt who is on a very tight limited income.)

If you're having a party for your child at a restaurant, do you at least tell people that either you're paying for them, or you're not paying so at least if they can't afford it they don't show up and feel stupid if they can't afford it?! I don't plan to say anything to SIL, or my brother, but still. I found that uber-tacky.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think she should have added it, just a little P.S.**Buffet costs $6.95** that way people would know.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Thats why I do parties at the house and order pizza its cheep and every one is covered and no confusion.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree. It was a tacky move, its common courtesy to inform people of the cost of things if prices arent covered!
    tayshu4

Answer by tayshu4 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yes that is way tacky, but I wouldn't have made anyone pay for their own food. When you are throwing a party you have an obligation to provide food for at least the kids. Very tacky!!
    jen.kess

Answer by jen.kess at 9:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would have noted it on the invitation. I've gone to lots of parties where kids' food was provided, but not adults, but I do think they could have mentioned it to you in the invite!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Doesn't sound cool. You should be detailed in an invite when it involves people paying for meals.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• OMG!!! I would have walked out! That's insane lol!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would have walked out too...but we'd driven 40 miles, my kids were starving, and the nearest food otherwise was another 40 miles away (small towns far apart). I've had the same kinds of parties in the same kind of restaurant before and invited them, and I told them ahead of time if I was paying, or "come if you want, unfortunately I can't cover everyone so I won't be mad if you choose not to come".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It was their responsability to pay for the meal or in the least let you know that you were expected to pay. I would have skipped giving the gift, that is for sure. Your brother and his wife are idiots...
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• That is about the most rude thing someone could do. I would have just left my gift, and walked out.

I would never go to a party of theirs again. I would also let them know how rude it was.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010