How do I stop my three year old from throwing tantrums about everything?

My three year old son is constantly throwing tantrums, everytime you tell him no, or something happens that he doesnt like. He freaks out. Sometimes he even hits his brother or throws toys or objects. This is getting out of control. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds cruel but with my daughter i had to spray her in the face with water... I know i know someones going to say something about call cps on her .. i didnt take a water hose to her lol.. I got one of those mist waterbottles.. it just shocked her.. soon she learned that you couldnt throw fits.. but then in the end it backfired..she wanted to play in the water so she would pitch a fit to play in it lol..
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I just send him to his bed until he calms down. It got to the point where, for a while, he would run to his bed anytime he got upset. I always give him a warning, so its not like all I ever say to him is "go to bed", lol. Putting him in time out doesn't work cause he just throws himself out of the chair over and over again....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I oughta try that on my son who's 3 1/2.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• You have choices. Ignore the tantrums and give them zero attention. Go to his room
    Give one warning that includes a choice like "calm down or a punishment" and never cave in.
    Positive reinforcment=reward chart. (I try very hard to tell my children thank you alot, eye contact) high self esteem.
    Hold his arms, restrain him until he calms, not abusively. This works great.
    How do you feel about every toy that he throws, you throw it in the trash. His brother does not deserve to be hit.
    Most importantly, use your intuition with each tantrum. Make the punishment fit the crime. GL and loads of patience!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• (I try very hard to tell my children thank you alot, eye contact) high self esteem.

Lol Can I change my sentaence? ^^^ I try hard to REMEMBER to tell my kids thank you....oh it is easy to say, I just need to remember :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Ignoring the tantrums always worked best for me. The quickly learn that tantrums don't get them what they want.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 10:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would be spanking him for that kind of behavior. I know it's old fashioned, but I also know that it works.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• time out
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When my kids were younger and threw tantrums, I ignored them and they soon stopped.
    joanilene

Answer by joanilene at 5:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i had to sprinkle cold water on my sons face when he was younger because he would throw a tantrum thruout the store over nothing and i was so embarrassed about it that i took cold water and sprinkled it on his face....he didnt like it but he stopped throwing his little tantrum!!
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010