Gassy Baby??

What can I do for my newborn? She's 8 days old and has horrid gas pains! I breast feed, so I know it's not an issue with formula. But she keeps getting hickups, burps & farts like a sailor and I can actually hear and feel the gas in her belly & she screams in pain... I massage her belly & heals, but that isn't helping much. I always make a point not to eat anything that could cause gas when I'm nursing because my son had a lot of gas issues when I ate things like beans or broccoli. My mom says give her water, but I'm worried that will make her nurse less... Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe just a little bit of gripe water, like a dropper amount.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• What is gripe water?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• if you massage their belly(only on the outside rim) in a clockwise motion it will help alot DONT NOT massage the middle of their belly or around their belly button.. then lay them on their back and slowly push their legs up to their stomach but be gently it helps all the air move through their system.. faster
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• You can make your own at home. It's an all-natural concoction that some people absolutely swear by. You can actually watch videos on the internet of people showing it working on their fuss-budget babies. Do a google search and it will tell you exactly how to make it, if you're interested in that, sometimes it has chamomile in it, sometimes fennel, there are all different recipes. You can buy it at the store, but it's not always recommended.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• bf babies are often very gassy. my ds is 6 weeks and has farts you can hear in the other room sometimes and he gets hiccups at least once a day. my bf books and pamphlets say its normal though.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 10:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• try using gas drops or gripe water i had to use them both on my daughter for 4 months because she was very gassy when she was first born
    angellover19865

Answer by angellover19865 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Buy mylicon. Natie had the worst gas ever and would scream all night. This stuff is the most amazing thing for gas. I give it a million stars. If you dont believe me look it up on good and see for yourself.
    NatiesMommy

Answer by NatiesMommy at 2:00 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My daughter sometimes has the worst gas and the gas drops work wonders. It suddles her stomach less then 10mins and she is back to sleep
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I suggest calling a LLL Leader or lactation consultant. I wouldn't give a newborn anything like gas drops or grip water. Anything that the baby ingests could change the baby's normal bacteria in the gut and cause more problems. Food causing gas is usually a myth except if the mom drinks cows milk. The cows milk protein can cause problems in the baby. Humans probably aren't supposed to eat cows milk from an evolutionary perspective.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010