Does anyone know how to house break a 1yr old poodle ?

just got this poodle yesterday never had a dog before, need some advice on how to make him go potty outside. help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pets

• The best way to train a dog is to leave it in a dog cage all day and only let it out to go bathroom. Take the dog straight outside and leave it out until it goes to the bathroom. When it comes in you can let it out of the cage just supervise it and if it has an accident take it back outside. You should keep it on a schedule, let it out right away in the morning, a couple times throughout the day and then right before bed. You should also only give it food and water before you take it out. I always slipped the food in the cage and then would let the dog out when it was done eating then take the food away until the next time you let it out. The older it gets the better it will be and soon you won't have to cage it. Also make sure the cage is not too big or it will go bathroom in the cage and the point of the cage is for it to not feel comfortable with going inside.
    maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 9:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• dogs wont go to the bathroom where they sleep or eat. ( if you have one that does, he will NEVER be housebroke). so caging them for 4 hour intervals in the beginning is a great way to teach them. petsmart sells a spray that you can use to make them not go in certain areas and a spray that will make them go in certain areas. it is refundable if it doesn't work. use both sprays, and take the dog out in intervals to start with and use the same term every time. like potty outside, or go potty and give lots of praise when they do go outside. you may have a hard time if the dog is a year old and not potty trained, but poodles are supposed to be very smart so maybe it will work.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i have a poodle and she was harder to potty train then the other dogs but she is the easiest to train for other things. you will find your poodle to be the smartest dog of most breeds. i had to barrow a crate and for her age you take her out. he should be able to hold it for 6-8 hours at a time so you can leave her in the cage that long and then take her out. he should go potty but also about a half hour after they eat. watch the amount of water he gets. like don't leave the water down on the floor all day if your not taking him out consistently. what color is yours? mine is black. use the others advice as they are on the mark.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• There is a very good web site about this... on poodle mom's we shared it... contact me and I will look it up, but this is the way I did it my last time and my pup has never pottied in my house.

Do not let them wander the house at all... keep them on a leash by your side... an animal usually goes to the potty after they wake and after they eat... so that is when you take them out and over see their bathroom habits. Then praise, praise, praise... I use the words go potty... choose your words, they will eventually understand it means to go potty... be consistent... never punish, unless they start to go in front of you and then use a sharp sound... I use ahah!!... it gets their attention and they usually stop what they are doing and look at you.
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 12:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• rustysmom has the advice I was going to give you. I have potty trained a lot of dogs and to keep her by your side when you can is a great way to get to know when she needs to go. If you have to leave then crate her while your gone for a short time. If she eats ,take her out, if she drinks the same thing. all your doing is training her. Too bad who ever had her before didn't but i know she will be wanting to please you and will learn quickly. Good luck with the training.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I buy the wee wee pads and our new poodle pup uses them in the house. she also goes outside with our other 2 dogs in between. She does have an accident once in a while but if you put some pennies in an empty pop can and when you see him start to aim shake the can real loud and he should stop and then you take him outside - quickly. Did you know they have wrap around diapers for male dogs? I was surprised when I saw them at PetCo. They also have diapers for girl dogs. Good luck with your training. will be glad when ours is trained too.puppy

flutterby.16

Answer by flutterby.16 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008