How do you regain trust? Is it possible?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• i guess it would depend on the people involved and the situation going on.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 10:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It takes more work than most people realize, and in the end you either trust, you still don't trust or you just don't care. It can happen, but not for everyone.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• regaining trust is hard and if you are able to trust again it sure the hell dont mean the other is TRUSTWORTHY now does it.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I agree, depends on the person and situation. I've been having ongoing trust issues with my husband for the last couple years. I have sincerely tried to get past it, forgive, and move on. Unfortunately he keeps choosing to do things to break the trust I manage to gain for him so I've just said to hell with him. I hope you're not in a situation where it's bound to be repeated because from my experience, it's just such a waste of time. If you think it's worth it, try your best to regain. Therapy or something?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• It's much harder to earn trust back after it's broken. The person who has broken the trust has to understand this, and realize they caused it, and depending on how serious the problem is be willing to be patient, and take what is dished out based on the level of pain they have caused the other party. Some things can take years to get over. Some things are never gotten over.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Yes it is, howevr, it will take time, understanding and work. Depending on the situation, a change may need to occur. Like a PP said, the person who caused the breach in trust has to #1 be willing to make changes needed, and #2 be understanding. They need to realize that it will take time to rebuild that trust. The person who was betrayed also has to realize that these feelings are normal. Allow themselves to grieve, to feel the total range of emotions, and do not try and rush the process or try and just shove it aside. I wish you nothing but the best, and feel free to PM if you need to.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 12:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Trust must be earned in order to be regained.

If someone has lost your trust. They must earn it back. They must prove they are worthy of it once again. If they will not earn it back, or work to earn it back. Then they are not worthy of your trust.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010