Booster Seat

My ds is 3 1/2 and 35 lbs. Dh and I were wondering when do we get a booster seat for our son?

jilligan362

Asked by jilligan362 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 40lbs AND 4 years is the minimum in most states
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• What peanutsmommy1 said.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Great. Your answers answers our questions. Thanks.
    jilligan362

Comment by jilligan362 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• My daughter was 48 pounds and 48 inches tall at 3 3/4 years old. In our car, she rides in a high back booster that is belted in with the car seat belt and will convert to a regular booster later. In our van she is in a 5 point harness Graco Nautilus that goes to 60 pounds as is and 100 pounds as a booster! We've had issues with her unbuckling herself since she is so big for her age. She is almost 4 now (in a week and a half) and 50 pounds and 48 inches tall. We expect she'll be in these boosters until she is too tall or weighs too much. I think that there are some boosters that kids only have to be 40 pounds...but the issue is will they stay buckled in. Seat belts are easier to get undone that the harness. DD can undo shoulder straps on harness but can't undo lap part but she can completely get out of other booster and be climbing over seat in about 1 minute flat! We only take the car on short trips in town.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I would keep him harnessed as long as possible.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 10:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I bought a Graco Nautilus 3-n-1 system. It allows you to keep them harnessed to 65 lbs, then is a high back booster, then transistions to a booster seat.

The others are correct. they are pushing a federal law that states 4 yrs and 40 lbs. Even at state level, many are stipulating a height requirement. My DD will be 4 in May. She is 43 lbs. Even at her weight, she is not big enough for me to be comfortable with anything less than a 5 pt restraint. I cannot imagine that yours is either at only 35 lbs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I put both of my girls in a booster when they turned 4. My 6 yo only weighs 39 lbs but she has been in one for 2 years anyway.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• The longer you keep him harnessed the better, the safer he will be. We love our Nautilus'. I have my 3 year old and 4 year old in them and will probably keep them in them until they are 6 or so.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I am also a Nautilus fan. My 5.5 year old (43 pounds) is in one with a 5 point harness, and my 8.5 year old (63 pounds) is in his as a high back booster.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I love the nautilus and I have one for my 3 year old son. It's a great seat because it will grow with your child as they grow. Right now he is still in the carseat but in the next coming months we will make his seat into a high back booster because he is very tall for his age and starting to get tall for the carseat so he needs a little more room. A child should not be in a booster seat until 4 or 5.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2010