Even if I wash my towels a few times in a row, they still don't smell fresh

Any tips on getting towels to smell like new?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 10:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Did you dry them in between washes? If they are forgotten in the wash, they mildew and just rewashing them won't work.

Dry them and then wash them with a 1/2 cup of white vinegar along with your detergent.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• i hear that!! tide is advertising a washer cleaner that is supposed to clean your washer and help your clothes smell better. supposedly for a front loader. i am soooo trying it. i have also heard that if you thow some vinegar in an empty load can help.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Oh, and do you have a front load washer? If so, liquid fabric softener will cause a film on the drum. You will need to run the sanitizer in it.

Vinegar is a natural fabric softener and also will keep your washer and hoses fresh.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• What detergent are you using? I love the Gain with Febreeze... Do the vinegar trick Jademom07 mentioned, dry, and wash again with just the detergent. Another thing is run an empty wash with a cup of vinegar... A lady I used to rent from did that twice a week. Every load was amazing!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 10:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• itzmyzoo...running vinegar with every load will do the same thing. just skip the fabric softener then you won't need to use the tide cleaner.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I had to get one of those washer cleaners.. its a powder that you put in a washer full of water but no close and run it through a couple times... It helped ALOT.. It got all the gunk and junk that comes off your clothes when you wash them out of there
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I bleach my towels to kill any germs. It also helps with odors.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• Don't load too many into the washer at a time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I was using the store bought detergents but recently switched to a wellness company for our cleaning products, detergents, and other products. We had the same problem of smelly clothes and towels, however, since we have switched we use a lot less soap (I was going through a 96 load detergent of Tide container one a month; the same 96 load with the wellness company actually lasted us 3 months which has never happened before we switched). When washing our clothes/towels we pay less plus get more for our money.
    greensavvymama

Answer by greensavvymama at 11:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I found that if I leave my door ajar on my front loader when I'm not using it, that it stays fresh smelling! You might try that with all the other things mentioned above. I also found that powder detergents can wreck a washing machine faster than ever. The powder builds up around the edges of the machine and turns into a cement that can interfere with the machine's work. I only use liquid detergent because of this reason.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2010