How do you keep a cat calm for a 14+ hr car ride?

My daughter is taking her cat back home and I can only imagine the mess and noise in the car. Any suggestions?

starflower57

Asked by starflower57 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pets

• ask your vet what they recommend. From my own experience, cats hate car rides.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Rather than caging him (safest), let him wander the backseat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• A crate, and a sedative.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Thanks for these answers...will see if the vet is open before she has to leave. I know she wants her cat but I worry about him trying to escape...maybe a sedative would help prevent that.
    starflower57

Comment by starflower57 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Your vet should have a kitty safe sedative. That's how ppl fly with their cats :)
    Nykkii

Answer by Nykkii at 12:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would never let a cat out in the backseat in the car. What if something startles the cat and it freaks out and causes an accident? What if it leaps out when she stops to buy gas or get some lunch?

Definitely she should call the vet and sedate the cat. The other option is to put him in the crate and cover it with a blanket.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree, a kitty crate and a sedative are your best options. A cat roaming freely will be much mote likely to freak out, and would be much more likely to cause an accident.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• SCOTCH & mILK, HAVE YOUR DAUGHTER DRINK SOME TOO! lol
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We actually found that just letting kitty roam is better than locking them up in a crate. All kitties are different but mine meow all the time if in a crate and if let loose they just end up sitting down once they check the car out. She might let kitty explore the car before leaving
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Put the kitty in the carrier well b4 its time to leave. You can cover it with a towel so kitty doesnt get too anxious watching all the activity. I use, with great success, the Pro-Pet Anti-Stress Calming Collar. It cost about $6 and its made of natural kitty pheromones and herbal extracts. It seems to work best if placed on the cat at least 2-3 hours b4 that car ride. Good luck!
    Rosemirrors

Answer by Rosemirrors at 12:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010