REALLY?

So my cousin in 27 years old and has been married to her husband for 7 months. She is about 4 months pregnant. Well at Chrismas, she was so upset. She told me that she had gone to her in laws house for Christmas Eve and she addressed her mother-in-law by her first name. Her father in law stood up and told her that she "will address my wife as Mrs. Cook." She called her that because there were friends over who were her age and they called her by her first name. She is so upset, but she also feels that as she is married to their son and pregnant with their grandchild, she shouldn't be treated as lower then the family friends. I told her not to go around them until they can treat her nicely. She is just such a sweet person, she never wants to hurt anyone's feelings, even when her's are hurt. Thoughts....comments.....

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• She should call them what they prefer to be called, out of respect. In time they may warm. In the meantime, they should have never called her out in front of others, that is poor judgment.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would have walked out of there. Her husband needs to defend her.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 12:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Well i think that father in law shouldnt have said that to her i know how that feels
    angellover19865

Answer by angellover19865 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Where was her husband? I would like to think he'd take a stand on that one. What A-holes! I've always called my in-laws mom & dad. Do they like her? Makes you wonder what their feelings are about her.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Who harps on formal address in this day and age? They were being deliberately cruel. I guess they will expect engraved invitations to come visit their grandchild too.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 12:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I totally agree. They need to pull the stick out of their arses!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 12:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Who wants their daughter in law to call them MR. or MRS. so-in-so? Why didn't her husband defend her? That is horrible! I think when I married my hubby, his parents were nicer to me then they were to him! I feel sorry for her, she got stuck with shitty inlaws. Does she have to go over there often?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I call my in-laws by their first name.

I wouldn't bother with them till they apologize.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• wow that is strange. My MIL wants me to call her "mom" but I am not comfortable with that. I call her by her first name.
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 1:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Okay yuck I would have said that and taken a polite tone bowed and called her by her sir name. After I would have left and when they come around be polite but only polite.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2010