• In the Spotlight:

5 month old not interested in baby food.

my 5 month old daughter wants nothing to do with any kind of baby food. should i be worried?

sarrrr13

Asked by sarrrr13 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 5 months is a little early for baby food anyway. most doctors say 6 months at the earliest.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• well my doctor said to start trying cause she was eating ceral at 4 months like he told me too and she doesnt seem full with just formula anymore.
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• dont worry. Babies were not born with teeth for reason. When you baby starts cutting teath she should start wanting baby food. Their digestion track was not made for baby food at a young age
    oneill8

Answer by oneill8 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son didn't start eating baby food (fruit) until 6months and then he didn't eat much of it at first. I wouldn't worry @ this age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I waited until 6 months to feed my daughter baby food, because that's what my doctor recommends. However, she didn't get very interested in it until 7 1/2 months. All of a sudden she went from two or three bites to eating large quantities. Just give it time, she'll get interested eventually. Baby food isn't meant to provide nutrition, anyway, it's just for fun the first year.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No, I dont think that you should be worried. Is your baby bf? If so, she might just really like her breast milk. They say that you don't have to start babies on food until 6 months or even a year if they are bf, though we have started giving our 5 month old food as well. We started off with one veg for 3 days. He didn't like his carrots and we mixed it with cereal for a couple of days and he ate it that way.

Don't force the food. If you force it on her now, then she may associate eating negatively and that would make it harder down the road to get her to eat.
    mscottsmom

Answer by mscottsmom at 10:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• for the first year solids are just for tasting and testing. babies should not be consuming large amounts of food anyway, their diet should consist mainly of breastmilk(or formula.)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I don't know why your doctor would have you start solids so early. Babies don't NEED anything but breastmilk (or formula) until one year. Anything up to that point is basically just for practice/exploring new tastes and textures. Anything before 6 months is really too soon. And the fact that she's not interested in eating baby food just reinforces that she's not ready. You shouldn't push it.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Don't worry. She will let you know when she is truly ready, which will probably be sometime after 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008