Cheating Spouse - Character Flaw or Character Leak?

I read in a book one time that a person who cheats can be a person with a character flaw, meaning they will cheat again and again, or a person who cheats can be a person with a character leak, meaning it was a lapse in judgment and will likely not do it again. Do you believe this to be true? Do you think once a cheat, always a cheat? Or maybe people make honest to goodness mistakes and they can learn from them?

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• i don't know about any of that stuff, but i do know that once a cheater on ME, never again! as in i know better than to wait around and find out.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i think that its possible to just have a bad moment, but like angevile53 said, i wont wait around to see what the case is.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think we were all young once, and made bad decisions... But by the time you are 23, you should have made your mistakes or lapses... I was cheated on, and never again... And I learned from the mistakes I made in relationships, and don't make the same ones...
    But as of now in my life, i believe once a cheater, always a cheater.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• it depends on the person and who that person is with. i have had an ex who cheated on me a lot, but wouldnt cheat on the person he is with now, then i know other people who i thought would never cheat, cheat all the time on every person they are with
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't know and don't care. People who cheat are douchebags no matter the reason they cheat. I would not trust a cheater again.
    Anonymous

• well last year my boyfriend had a lil fling and i found out bout it and i beleive that once a cheater always a cheater,but ever since then he has really been showing me that people can change.He does'nt do stuff like he did and his whole attitude has changed for the better so not sure
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I believe it to be true.

Simply because each and every individual who cheats.. Cheats for their own individual reasons. Therefore, it's impossible to state that it is simply a character flaw that all cheaters share. If it was, they all would cheat for the exact same reasons.

Every single person living and dead. Has made bad choices, has made selfish choices, has made destructive choices. It's just on a sliding scale, some are worse than others. We as humans are not made of those choices, those choices do not define us as people. We are the sum of and defined by what we do AFTER we have made those choices. We are either smart enough, cognitive enough, caring enough to change/learn from/and never make those choices again, or we are not. Making the choice isn't what makes the person in the big scheme of life, what they do afterwards does.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010